IR level sensor or FSR's

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
DerStig
Printmaster!

IR level sensor or FSR's

Post by DerStig »

Building a metal max, using a Duet controller. Do I go FSR's or the IR proximity sensor. I use a glass surface and sometimes I use buildtek
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: IR level sensor or FSR's

Post by Xenocrates »

If you use multiple bed surface's, I'd use FSR's. Different surfaces and coatings will trigger the IR sensor at different heights, requiring tweaking.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: IR level sensor or FSR's

Post by Jimustanguitar »

You can also do Z probing. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1069281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another option is an accelerometer mounted to the hotend that can act like a z probe. Hopefully the Eris will be a wild success and there will be kits available to us soon!
A friend build a Pup delta, and it actually mounts the hotend slightly loose and has a snap switch that's triggered that way...

That being said, I'm doing a build right now and I went with FSRs. Betweeen OpenDact and MHackney and 626Pilot's work, I felt like it gave me the best options.

Return to “The Build Zone”