Tower Wire Clearance on Idlers

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
Saber7
Noob

Tower Wire Clearance on Idlers

Post by Saber7 »

First post but I have been lurking for a couple of months (love the community here) and ended up purchasing a Max V2 kit last week. Its been a blast putting it together so far when time allows!

So I started my build and ran into a snag that I didn't see anything in the manual about, mostly because I probably went off the reservation a bit. I saw all the cool stuff about people modding their printers so it could support 2 hot ends and such and really wanted to do that for my build. But since it's my first printer and to try and keep complexity down until I feel comfortable and manage to dial this thing in and get really good with 1 hotend/extruder, I compromised with myself and only bought the wiring to support dual hot ends/extruders as I gleaned this would be a huge pain to do in the future and wanted to save myself a tear down at some point.

So enough with the setup of why I am asking. The issue I am having is on a few of the towers with them all the way down to the stop screw unless I pull the wires really tight and flatten them out they rub on the idler for the belt. I tired securing them with a zip tie on the outside of the hole and that seemed to kind of work but I am afraid if things move around or something it might touch the idler and rub through the insulation eventually causing a short. Not sure if anyone else has run into this or has any ideas on how to safely route these wires to keep them from rubbing but any ideas would be a huge help. Attaching a picture of the rubbing. I was thinking about moving the tower up a tiny bit but am worried that would screw up the tower height or something else later on.
Attachments
Picture of wiring
Picture of wiring
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Tower Wire Clearance on Idlers

Post by Xenocrates »

If you raise each tower equally, then it should work OK (Although making sure they are even is a pain). I've never had a problem with the wires at the towers shifting, and I have modified the wiring up top fairly heavily (And re-routed those as far as where they sit several times). The zip-ties work quite well to lock them in. That being said, I would have suggested using an external cable duct instead (Even though it looks ugly, it works very well to make modifications as close to painless as possible)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I can't tell by the image, although if you screw in the alignment screw all the way in the extrusion will set on the head of the screw vs the shaft. That will give you a little more room. Just make sure the other towers match.
SPICETRADERS
Plasticator

Post by SPICETRADERS »

I just finished installing two of the tower legs and started noticing the very close wire to idler and looks like if left to Murphy that rubbing will occur. I did add two 22GA wires to one tower tube for LED lighting but that is a very minimal size change. I also had planned to slip heat shrink over the wired where the come out the tube end and goes through the side wall hole.
If I had known this before running wires I would have taken the time to Dremel a "U" shaped notch on the tubes side to allow for more wire room.

I will have to ponder this over night to decide if the pulling of the tube and rerunning wires are worth the effort to make the notch for wire space.

Does any one see an issue on the top side or is this only on the bottom?
==If it is not HOT and SUNNY then the END is NEAR==

Return to “The Build Zone”