Toms Max V2 build

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
TomS
Plasticator

Toms Max V2 build

Post by TomS »

I am building a Max V2 in Jakarta, just got the drive belts on and am about to start on the extruder. There are a few pictures here if you are interested in seeing the progress. The normal products that we are all used to can be very difficult to find here. I included a picture of the RTV silicone I managed to find and the only Lithium grease within reach. Never used the grease from a spray can before. I assumed that it would be a thin lubricant like WD40, and that is what it looked like when a did a little test spray. The interesting thing was that it thickened to the consistency of grease after a few minutes.

I have not been able to locate disappearing purple glue stick or unscented hair spray here. I do have a roll of knock off Kapton tape from China in the 1" size. An engineer friend in the aviation business suggested that I use silicone spray on the print bed rather than hair spray. If anyone has any experience or knowledge of trying this I would love to hear about it. I am also wondering if the smell is the only problem with using regular hair spray or if there are other bad things that will happen.

The only change that I am planning to the basic kit is the use of a 30 amp power supply rather than the ATX one, hate dealing with all those wires.
image-1.jpeg
image-8.jpeg
image-7.jpeg
image-6.jpeg
image-5.jpeg
image-4.jpeg
image-3.jpeg
Tom
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Toms Max V2 build

Post by Mac The Knife »

The idea for the gluestick, or hairspray is to get the material to adhere to the plate, Silicone would make it a non-stick surface?
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
TomS
Plasticator

Post by TomS »

That was certainly my first thought and I dont want to start experimenting before I know everything is working. The only thing that I could think of for his reasoning is that silicone caulking actually makes a reasonable glue for some things.
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

whoever recommended the silicon spray must not like you very much...LOL
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
Print_This
Printmaster!

Post by Print_This »

i used the cheao suave hairspray from walmart or even a cheap can from dollar store worked in a pinch for me, but silicone dont think so.
--------------
If you survive chicago winters you can survive 3d printing!
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

I use half a "large 40g" disapearing purple Elmers gluestick mixed with 1.5 cups water and about 2 ounces of isopropyl alcohol in a mason jar.
Then just use a cheap foam brush to spread the purple passion on.

I'd imagine that you can use any type of elmers glue, but I've only tried the gluestick because my wife is a elementary teacher = unlimited supply of glue...

[img]http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr189/Onuxis/20150104_114321.jpg[/img]
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

That's a big Mason Jar!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I hope it's just perspective, otherwise he's got something around 60 glue sticks in there. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

bah... didn't even notice it when I held it up to the light.

Return to “The Build Zone”