Don't think I've got the guts for this one...

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Don't think I've got the guts for this one...

Post by Jimustanguitar »

A 3DHubs customer asked me about doing this print in Bridge Nylon by next week. It's almost 75 hours with no support. With support it's more like 115.

I kindly declined the order. Would you have tried?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/nmOICLS.png[/img]
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Don't think I've got the guts for this one...

Post by teoman »

I cant see the image.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

Pretty risky looking to me. Probably better of as an SLS part, and even then it could be troublesome.

I think you were smart to decline.
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

if the price was right you could have purchased a new wider printer :)
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

I wouldn't do it in bridge (never tried it, can it withstand such huge parts without warping?) but I would do it in PLA in a heartbeat. Put it at an angle and put supports on the underside and anywhere that is an "island" It would print really nicely. I do lots of pieces like it. First time, I was scared like you but bit the bullet and quoted high on the job. It turned out amazingly, and they have been a repeat customer since.
*not actually a robot
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Jimustanguitar wrote:A 3DHubs customer asked me about doing this print in Bridge Nylon by next week. It's almost 75 hours with no support. With support it's more like 115.

I kindly declined the order. Would you have tried?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/nmOICLS.png[/img]
No, has the faint odor of death about it. you could sure have a lot invested in this by the time you found it wouldn't come out well.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

With a print time that long, one mistake and restart would push the completion date past the delivery date with zero setup or downtime. It just wasn't meant to be.

The guy seemed like he knew that it was a wild ask, so maybe I'll get some business out of him on a different project down the road.
Khalid Khattak
Printmaster!

Post by Khalid Khattak »

why not slice the model into pieces.. Also increase the layer Height from 0.1 to 0.2mm , this will also give u same quality but almost reduced half of the time
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

You could have reduced the layer height to .2mm and halved the time. It's really not such a big deal to leave these printers going for hundreds of hours. You just have to be confident in your gcode.
*not actually a robot
Neptune
Printmaster!

Post by Neptune »

I can't speak for the Bridge Nylon aspect, as I haven't tried that filament yet.

But as far as the model goes, I would have asked the customer if it was critical that the model be printed as a single piece or could I cut it in half. Then it looks like it would probably print with a the flat side down and very little support needed then fuse the two halves together.

I just recently had a 3DHubs inquiry and got the business because I asked this very question. I originally declined the order because it was actually too large for the build volume. So I cut the 2 models he wanted in half and each piece is taking about 17 hours to print and even with support they are coming out amazing and I'm printing in ABS with no warping or bed adhesion issues!

Return to “What are YOU making?”