Enclosure heating

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
tcat007
Printmaster!

Enclosure heating

Post by tcat007 »

Will be receiving my Max2 soon and thought I'd start on an enclosure. Decided on 1/4" plywood approx. 1" larger than the V2, with 18" wide clear PC front door. I plan on using a 125W (or 250W) heat lamp bulb screwed to a porcelain base under the top assy of the V2. I'd like to keep the heat above room temperature 24/7 (or at least in the winter when my garage is below 60F). Will a water heater thermostat work at controling the temp within the enclosure? Something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AT ... 1_3&sr=8-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The filament reel on top will be within the enclosure. Should I add a small fan to circulate air (in the top section so there is little to no breeze below). Will be printing ABS.

PS: Holy crap, UPS just dropped off "the box"... ordered on Thanksgiving! Wife says "oh no, won't be seeing you for a while".
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Enclosure heating

Post by Eaglezsoar »

tcat007 wrote:Will be receiving my Max2 soon and thought I'd start on an enclosure. Decided on 1/4" plywood approx. 1" larger than the V2, with 18" wide clear PC front door. I plan on using a 125W (or 250W) heat lamp bulb screwed to a porcelain base under the top assy of the V2. I'd like to keep the heat above room temperature 24/7 (or at least in the winter when my garage is below 60F). Will a water heater thermostat work at controling the temp within the enclosure? Something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AT ... 1_3&sr=8-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The filament reel on top will be within the enclosure. Should I add a small fan to circulate air (in the top section so there is little to no breeze below). Will be printing ABS.

PS: Holy crap, UPS just dropped off "the box"... ordered on Thanksgiving! Wife says "oh no, won't be seeing you for a while".
I think a digital temperature controller such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Purpo ... controller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
would better suit your needs.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
tcat007
Printmaster!

Post by tcat007 »

Thanks, that looks more controllable, and you can see the temp. Sure are a lot of parts in the box! Anyone ever count them all? Doesn't look too intimidating. :shock:
Sure smells, even before opening. Must have been cut less than a week ago...
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

I have the exact controller Eagle recommended. It works like a charm.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.

Return to “What are YOU making?”