What can I do with this?

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
Penged
Printmaster!

What can I do with this?

Post by Penged »

I have this solid aluminum block roughly 1" X 3/4" X 3/4". I was thinking either a dual extruder or pseudo volcano. Input or other suggestions? I included a picture next to a J head clone for reference.
Attachments
IMG_20161009_070213477_HDR.jpg
V2 max with the HE280 hotend
Eric
Printmaster!

Re: What can I do with this?

Post by Eric »

So much depends on what your skills are and what tools you have. If you think of something exciting, give it a shot. Worst case, you destroy a $1 chunk of aluminum.
Penged
Printmaster!

Post by Penged »

I have a drill press, taps and dies, bandsaw, all kinds of toys. And the block was free and I have a virtually inexustable supply of the blocks.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Cast or wrought? If it's cast, then expect it to crack if you were to make an E3D style cartridge clamp.

As far as making a heater block, it's doable with those tools, but I would make sure you have a reasonable set of files and sandpapers to deburr and smooth it, to reduce the crud that sticks to it (If possible, wetsand it to near mirror, to reduce sticking). I would say that a new (PT100) style volcano would be your best bet of making something with it, since you can cut most of the holes in a single orientation. I would for the purposes of making stuff out of it if it's cast, use grubscrews to secure both the temperature sensor and the heater cartridge so you minimize flexing, although this will reduce contact area on the heater cartridge as compared to a normal one.

And if it's virtually inexhaustible, I might also try learning to cast aluminum (and take care of any nearby ants at the same time)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

virtually inexhaustible supply of the blocks? Sounds like it's time to make a metal foundry..
Penged
Printmaster!

Post by Penged »

Xenocrates, what parts need to be polished to a mirror finish? (that is well within my capabilities) I was thinking I would just pull parts off the J head clone and get a bigger nozzle (or drill out an old one).
Pardon my ignorance but what are the advantages of casting parts?
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I would polish the bottom and sides of the heater block, since those are where plastic is mostly likely to try to stick.

The advantages is you can turn a cheap PLA form into a metal part quickly, and it was largely a facetious comment, since I am very annoyed at the ants in my area, and I've seen many people pour molten aluminum into anthills, which I imagine would deal with the idiots.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Penged
Printmaster!

Post by Penged »

The part casting is an interesting idea. As far as the anthills go, I thought you were referring to something like this. http://www.anthillart.com/
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

Penged wrote:The part casting is an interesting idea. As far as the anthills go, I thought you were referring to something like this. http://www.anthillart.com/
He was, although digging them up and displaying them is optional, I guess.

Using nature's molds for casting is not limited to anthills and termite mounds. You can get interesting results with watermelons, pumpkins and many other melons and gourds.

Return to “What are YOU making?”