Flexy-Hand 2. 3d printed prosthetic hand vapor finished

Show off your latest creations, whether 3D printed or not
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Flexy-Hand 2. 3d printed prosthetic hand vapor finished

Post by McSlappy »

I joined up with e-Nable http://enablingthefuture.org/ because I have had a desire to have our business do more than just sell stuff... Anyway here's my first test prints of the Flexy-Hand 2 using ABS and then vapor finishing it for 4 hours. The joints are using a cheap flexible filament that I was testing (I don't think it's the best solution really)

I'm pretty happy with the results and it's waaaay glossy!

The ABS cracked along the palm, I suppose that's the downside of printing without a cover in a cold room :/ I'll probably make an enclosure before I do a real one.

Check the results out here. http://imgur.com/a/ckfpU
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
apostoly
Printmaster!

Re: Flexy-Hand 2. 3d printed prosthetic hand vapor finished

Post by apostoly »

Wow looks really good!!

i live the direction you're heading with your business. Always out to help others.

Good work

Paul
Generic Default
Printmaster!

Post by Generic Default »

That thing looks really nice with the vapor polish. You should try trimmer line nylon for an unbreakable cyborg hand! You can dye nylon too, which might be something the kid who gets it wants to do.

I think it's awesome that our reprap based machines can do prosthetic parts like this for orders of magnitude less money than other methods.
Check out the Tri hotend!
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

apostoly wrote:Wow looks really good!!

i live the direction you're heading with your business. Always out to help others.

Good work

Paul
Thanks mate, we do hope to much more of this :)
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Generic Default wrote:That thing looks really nice with the vapor polish. You should try trimmer line nylon for an unbreakable cyborg hand! You can dye nylon too, which might be something the kid who gets it wants to do.

I think it's awesome that our reprap based machines can do prosthetic parts like this for orders of magnitude less money than other methods.
I've been pseudo-curious about trimmer line... Any suggestions on brands to try or is there a repository of brands that people have used? I'll probably be limited to what I can get here in Oz, but yes a nylon hand capable of withstanding a 6 year old would be part of my goal.

And yes, I'm pretty convinced that we will see exponential growth in the advancement of prosthetics now that they've been empowered by the community. e-Nable has grown amazingly in just a year and the advancements already are mindblowing. I'm going to be working (hopefully, this is all pretty recent) with the local University on a full myoelectric arm based on what e-nable is doing. I'm sure I'll post about it as we go, but it's pretty exciting. They've got a Rostock Max (I showed them mine and they loved it) now and a great group of people that are gathering around this project so it'll be cool!
It really is a great blend of 3d modeling, technology, discovery and helpfulness that I really love. It's exciting!
Generic Default
Printmaster!

Just check out any trimmer line in the gardening section of your local store. It's cheaper than ABS or PLA and WAY stronger. Once you see how easy it is to print and how much it can bend before showing any stress, you will love the stuff.

I'm developing a special type of nozzle for microprinting with the nozzle orifice less than 0.25mm. It may be important for any tiny detailed parts that the prosthetics require. No speed printing with a 0.5 nozzle when so much is at stake for the kid wearing it!
DocHogan
Prints-a-lot

Post by DocHogan »

Generic Default wrote:Just check out any trimmer line in the gardening section of your local store. It's cheaper than ABS or PLA and WAY stronger. Once you see how easy it is to print and how much it can bend before showing any stress, you will love the stuff.

I'm developing a special type of nozzle for microprinting with the nozzle orifice less than 0.25mm. It may be important for any tiny detailed parts that the prosthetics require. No speed printing with a 0.5 nozzle when so much is at stake for the kid wearing it!
1800-feet of virgin nylon trimmer lane on Amazon, $21.99, Prime eligible
LASERMAN
Printmaster!

Post by LASERMAN »

I'm suprised you had to expose it to acetone vapor for 4 hours - I have never needed more than 15 minutes.
As far as the crack goes, I have had good luck using one of those "3D pens" to fill gaps in parts.
I also do a bit of sanding before using the vapor polish.

I wonder if a smooth surface is desirable in these - especially on the palm and inside of the fingers.
Perhaps a rubber coating for grip?
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

LASERMAN wrote:I'm suprised you had to expose it to acetone vapor for 4 hours - I have never needed more than 15 minutes.
As far as the crack goes, I have had good luck using one of those "3D pens" to fill gaps in parts.
I also do a bit of sanding before using the vapor polish.

I wonder if a smooth surface is desirable in these - especially on the palm and inside of the fingers.
Perhaps a rubber coating for grip?
It was cold vapour finished which is why it took so long.

No a smooth surface for a hand is a terrible idea - but I was testing the hand print as well as the vapor finish. 2 birds with one stone.

If I had known how prominently the crack would show up once vapour finished then I would have filled it beforehand.... Oh well a learning experience all around!
Generic Default
Printmaster!

I like Laserman's idea about the rubberized grip.

Maybe a nylon hand, dissolvable support, and ninjaflex lining the fingers and palm? That print would require three extruders though. Hey I happen to know about one of those!
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Generic Default wrote:I like Laserman's idea about the rubberized grip.

Maybe a nylon hand, dissolvable support, and ninjaflex lining the fingers and palm? That print would require three extruders though. Hey I happen to know about one of those!
And the moment I saw your extruder I was thinking exactly this :)
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

You have the stls?
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
HesDeadJim
Printmaster!

Post by HesDeadJim »

That is truly amazing! I love the finish! Super cool!
Steve S. (HesDeadJim)
Omaha, Nebraska
Rostock Max v2

"I am Dyslexia of Borg. Fusistance is retail. Your ass will be laminated."

Return to “What are YOU making?”