[NEW! 12Feb14] Rostock MAX Assembly Manual

Here's where you can find the official (and unofficial too) things like assembly instructions etc...
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: [NEW! 23Oct13] Rostock MAX Assembly Manual

Post by geneb »

Good catch Dave, I'll get that fixed this week!

The idler bearing tightening step should happen at page 40, not 36.
g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Toyguy
Printmaster!

Post by Toyguy »

Here are a couple other small observations so far:

On page 4, it would be nice if the link for the waxed cord were clickable, like the link for Hansen Hobbies in the following bullet.

On page 12, just below Fig 1-3, it would similarly be nice to have a live link there to the github.

On page 36, Fig 2-41, there's a typo in the caption. I think "stop" should be "top".

In Fig 6-10 and 6-11, I might change the name from "Idle bearing" to "Idler bearing" just so it matches Fig 6-12.

On page 67, a live link to the video would be nice.

You have the EZStruder assembly instructions in two places, beginning around page 90 and again around page 99. Perhaps that's intended?

More to come later... If it isn't obvious, one of my job responsibilities is technical document proof-reading :)
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Edits done. The EZStruder duplication was done on purpose. :)

tnx!

g.
Delta Power!
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

Just wanted to say great job and thanks for the assembly guide. I do have one suggestion though...

On page 5, where you are talking about the JST and XT60 connectors, maybe mention that Hobby King orders ship from Hong Kong and might take a significant amount of time to recieve.
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
Toyguy
Printmaster!

Post by Toyguy »

It might be worth my mentioning here that XT60 connectors are available from Sparkfun https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10474. I haven't compared prices but that's where I got mine because delivery should be much faster.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

It looks like Rambo 1.2 dropped the logic power jumper option. I'm assuming it's now pulling power only from the mains instead of the USB port. I've got a support request into UltiMachine to verify. Might be worth noting in the documentation.

Also, an recommendations for a hot end connector somewhere between the XT60 and JST in size? The XT60 seems to be a bit overkill, but I'm nervous about using the JST for anything power related? I could not find anything on maximum recommended current on the JSTs
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I agree that the XT60 is a bit overkill. Considering the power I've pulled through JSTs on 2 cell Lipo packs (15-20A) it should be perfectly adequate for the hot end power.

Are there any other changes to the 1.2 RAMBo?

tnx!

g.
Delta Power!
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

Thanks, will try the JST for the hot end.

The primary connectors are the same including the required headers for the smart controller. Some of the auxiliary/specialty pins have moved around a bit. The bolt hole pattern is the same.

From an assembly guide perspective, the logic power select is the only thing that raised a flag.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

UltiMachine has confirmed removal of the jumper for the logic power select on Rambo 1.2. For those who did not get the correct documentation with their Rambo, the correct link is below.

https://github.com/ultimachine/RAMBo/bl ... f?raw=true
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

By the looks of that diagram, they've gone back to the pluggable terminal block along the top edge. Can you confirm?

tnx!

g.
Delta Power!
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

My 1.2 has the pluggable terminal block. I had bought it directly from UltiMachine with the intent of updating my H1-1 to 16X microstepping, but instead purchased a RostockMax kit and stuck it in there. My 1.1 Rambo that came with the RostockMax has the terminal strip.

I assumed the on-board terminals was a custom cost reduction measure between UltiMachine and SeeMeCNC because of volumes.... and I could very well be wrong.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

I just unpacked the Rambo from my kit (ordered Oct. 27, 2013) last night and noticed that it is Rev. 1.1b instead of the newer 1.2d.

Is this what all Rostock Max's come with? If so, why?
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

I'm sure the have inventory to work through. I purchased my 1.2 directly from UltiMachine. My Rostock MAX came with a 1.1 also... so now I have a spare.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

ccavanaugh wrote:My 1.2 has the pluggable terminal block. I had bought it directly from UltiMachine with the intent of updating my H1-1 to 16X microstepping, but instead purchased a RostockMax kit and stuck it in there. My 1.1 Rambo that came with the RostockMax has the terminal strip.

I assumed the on-board terminals was a custom cost reduction measure between UltiMachine and SeeMeCNC because of volumes.... and I could very well be wrong.
Noticed another change this morning to the 1.2 that I like... It now has 3 fan connections instead of two. Fan 2 is a small connector like the thermistor inputs on the interior of the board. I'm assuming the intended application is for part cooling with Fan 0 and Fan 1 being intended for the extruders since they are parked next to a numbered similarly. And, firmwares will need to be updated.
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

RAMBo 1.2 updates are:

No power select jumper, board is always powerred from the power input rather than USB, as the USB and board are now isolated for safety, no common ground etc...

Terminal strips will still be used on all RAMBo's coming form us, while if you order from ultimachine directly they will have the pluggable connectors

Thermistor inputs now feature short circuit protection. If you accidentally short a thermistor, it pulls the current to ground instead of thru the adc circuit! Hooray!

Yes, we still have/had some 1.1 boards to go thru in inventory before we received the 1.2 boards, but future kits will ship with the 1.2

John
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

johnoly99 wrote:RAMBo 1.2 updates are:

No power select jumper, board is always powerred from the power input rather than USB, as the USB and board are now isolated for safety, no common ground etc...

Terminal strips will still be used on all RAMBo's coming form us, while if you order from ultimachine directly they will have the pluggable connectors

Thermistor inputs now feature short circuit protection. If you accidentally short a thermistor, it pulls the current to ground instead of thru the adc circuit! Hooray!

Yes, we still have/had some 1.1 boards to go thru in inventory before we received the 1.2 boards, but future kits will ship with the 1.2

John
Great improvements, the thermistor short circuit protection is enough to make me want to replace the one I have.
Great news!
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

johnoly99 wrote:Yes, we still have/had some 1.1 boards to go thru in inventory before we received the 1.2 boards, but future kits will ship with the 1.2
I understand that inventory must be exhausted, but this is still a bit disappointing to me honestly. I don't like buying something new that is outdated before I even receive it...especially, when talking about electronics/computer hardware.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

0110-m-p wrote:
johnoly99 wrote:Yes, we still have/had some 1.1 boards to go thru in inventory before we received the 1.2 boards, but future kits will ship with the 1.2
I understand that inventory must be exhausted, but this is still a bit disappointing to me honestly. I don't like buying something new that is outdated before I even receive it...especially, when talking about electronics/computer hardware.
I don't believe that any manufacturer would implement updated components on the day that the updated components come available.
That would require that they throw all old inventory in the trash. Would you do that if you ran a business? Not only is it not logical,
it would be downright stupid for a manufacturer to do that. The components work fine as designed and the result is a functioning printer.
Just because it doesn't have the very latest technologies does not negate the fact that the printer works as intended. Just voicing my opinion.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

I completely understand the business reason for doing this and it isn't like I'm demanding them to replace it with a new one...I'm sure the printer will work fine. However, it would be nice if on the website where it lists "RAMBo by UltiMachine electronics" is included, the revision level was present. That way, when someone is looking to buy/build a machine and starts researching the included components, they know what they are actually needing to look at. Unlike me, who went to Ultimachine's website and learned all about the features of the RAMBo v1.2d boards, assuming (wrongly) that is what I would be getting.

It's just frustrating to research something and expect to receive something, but get something else that is outdated.

Also, there are other options than just throwing inventory in the trash. They could sell the old revision hardware at a discounted rate individually and make sure all kits shipped with the newer hardware. Not saying they should do this, but it isn't like there aren't other options.
Toyguy
Printmaster!

Post by Toyguy »

I don't think they were sitting on much inventory. I ordered a week ago and mine came with the 1.2 Rambo controller so they made the switch pretty quickly, it seems.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Re: [NEW! 15Nov13] Rostock MAX Assembly Manual

Post by 0110-m-p »

I don't see it anywhere in the assembly manual, but on the front/LCD door there is the 1/4" hole on the right for the on/off toggle and another 1/4" hole on the left labelled LIGHT. I'm assuming this is intended for an additional toggle to turn on/off an effector mounted light? (This is what I plan on using it for anyway.)
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Yep, that's the intended use. 60mm light rings are a good choice for mounting under the effector end.

I use these: http://dx.com/p/t10-15-led-white-light- ... eter-25513" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just cover the exposed vias and surface mount parts with Kapton tape before you attach it to the effector - it'll keep the screws from shorting it out. I use wire-ties to hold mine in place.

g.
Delta Power!
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

Thanks. I actually bought Trick Laser's LED platform ring when I got their carbon arms and standoffs. A bit pricey, but I like the fact that it bolts in.
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

Finally got everything assembled and started calibrating. Had a bit of a problem calibrating the PID gains for the hotend...

When I tried doing the PID Autotune "M303 S200" command, it failed "Temperature too high". So I had to do a standard "M303" command to autotune to 150-deg, average and set the PID values from that, then redo the "M303 S200" command for it to work.
JonAdkins
Prints-a-lot

Post by JonAdkins »

Hello,

I just ordered a Max kit and can hardly wait until it arrives. In the meantime I've read the documentation a couple times and did have a question.

Within the Building the Base Assembly section several times it's mentioned to only tighten the screws enough to bite into the nylon threading to make assembly of the other parts easier, this all makes sense, however, I didn't really see any section that explicitly mentions when to actually go back and do a proper tightening of all the screws. Does that come at the end of the Building the Base Assembly section just prior to Installing and Aligning the Towers?

Thanks in advance,

-jon

Return to “Rostock MAX Official Docs”