newbie considering buying rostock, dual extruder

Here's where you can find the official (and unofficial too) things like assembly instructions etc...
prussiap
Printmaster!

newbie considering buying rostock, dual extruder

Post by prussiap »

Hey guys,
I'm new here and to 3d printing mostly :) but I'm deciding on a Delta based on what I've seen my friends' printers do and my reading on this forum among others. The Rostock V2 is top on my list so that I could learn to assemble and Mod the printer along the way. I'm trying to understand what spare parts and options might be good to order at the same time.

One of the things our local Hacklab has is a heated bed (which the Rostock has) but are there any decent mods to keep the bed clean and parts coming off smoothly?

I've been researching how to install a dual extruder as well to print with two colors but am unsure the pros/cons on the overall machine? How hard, expensive and what hardware/software mods would i need to get from the store for a second extruder? I'm assuming Bowden tube, EZ-struder, and hot end but I don't know how hard the changes to the software and calibrations are.

Finally, what advantages to changing the nozzle to thinner/more resolution are there other then the obvious better resolution?

I should probably start with the simple build and go from there but considering our Ultimaker and PrinterBotJr in our MakerSpace lab have issues with extruder and heated bed, I know i'd like to improve these items off the bat probably in this order:
1. Heated bed improvements (plastic cover or blue tape)
2. Second nozzle and hot end plus spool holder?
3. Any other hardware and software updates for this?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: newbie considering buying rostock, dual extruder

Post by Polygonhell »

You will want to get it running with 1 extruder first, there is a lot of messing about to make dual extruders work and a lot more to get decent prints out of them. For a beginner, it's not a mod I would recommend.
prussiap
Printmaster!

Post by prussiap »

I'm trying to find all the documentation for the original build. Do you have specific docs to recommend. Is it really hard to tweak, calibrate and build from the kit ?
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

prussiap wrote:I'm trying to find all the documentation for the original build. Do you have specific docs to recommend. Is it really hard to tweak, calibrate and build from the kit ?
It's not dificult to build or calibrated, but it will take a bit to learn how to tweak things to get those killer prints. Definetly get it up and running on one nozzle first, learn the machine, then make mods.
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

prussiap wrote:One of the things our local Hacklab has is a heated bed (which the Rostock has) but are there any decent mods to keep the bed clean and parts coming off smoothly?

1. Heated bed improvements (plastic cover or blue tape)
Suggest that you look at PEI surfaces for your heated bed. Best improvement that I have made. There are a couple of good threads.
prussiap
Printmaster!

Post by prussiap »

I saw this thread. http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... &hilit=PEI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would PEI help with heated bed as well ? does hit help distribute the heat properly or is this without it at all.

Thanks for the info guys. What about spare parts that are worth having your first time through cause i'm guaranteed to have my dogs eat them or me break them :)
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

PEI helps with adhesion but not so much with temperature uniforimity. I use a 1/16" copper sheet under my glass bed to do this.

Return to “Rostock MAX Official Docs”