Dead Rostock Max V2

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
tom2304
Noob

Dead Rostock Max V2

Post by tom2304 »

I printed 3 parts with my newly build 3D printer.
Then I installed the PEEK fan. I recalibrated everything (and did the PID routine)
During my first print with this new setup, suddenly the printer stopped (the power supply fan kept on turning.)
The LCD panel is also dark.

I opened the printer and tested the fuses on the Rambo for continuity. The F3 5A fuse is blown.
fuse.jpg
What I think i should do now is:
buy a new 5A fuse (and some spares) -> but the shipping cost is rather high from the US based shop to Belgium -> any suggestions for a european source for this? (a modification for a car fuse seems to farfetched for me)

how should i best diagnose the underlying problem? Disconnecting al the connectors of the parts supplied by Fuse 3 and check them for continuity? -> visually inspect different parts/wires?

Could a contact between the layer fan wires have caused the problem? They where in contact, but i'm printing in ABS and the layer fan control was 0%. So I think this is not a problem.
tom2304
Noob

Re: Dead Rostock Max V2

Post by tom2304 »

I bought some fuses at this european based supplier:
http://www.distrelec.biz/en/smd-fuse-su ... &simi=99.4

They are a little bit cheaper, and the shipping costs are 12euro instead of 18.5dollar.
lbarger
Printmaster!

Post by lbarger »

Thanks for the help. Had exactly the same issue. Did not immediately realize that tiny thing was a fuse. Ordered 10 spares as they are cheap compared to next day shipping.

I blame the blown fuse on the ring light I added in parallel with the heat sink fan. The light became loose, apparently twisted the leads and ended up shorting. IF I put it back on, I will not be relying on double sided tape! (Problem possibly compounded by E3D upgrade which left little room for the light.)

At least the RAMBo is designed with fuses to protect against mayhem like me. :oops:
I need more minions!
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I would think that no matter if the fan is set to anything, if the leads connect, then it will be problematic. IIRC, Mosfets such as used to switch the fans have some amount of leakage to them. Of course, I could be wrong.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

tom2304, have you resolved this and what was the resolution?

Return to “Troubleshooting”