Replaced Rambo 1.1b with 1.3L. Now have drive ratio issues

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Southways
Noob

Replaced Rambo 1.1b with 1.3L. Now have drive ratio issues

Post by Southways »

I have mid-2013 Rostock Max that has served me well for many years - has processed ~50kg of filament.
It started having some intermittent issues - primarily stopping mid-print (not time or position related). The issue was not repeatable & I suspected a dry joint on the Rambo board so I purchased a new board and received a ver 1.3L (original was ver 1.1b)

After installing the new board (no other hardware changes) I have not been able to get the configuration correct.

Can someone please advise:
- Is there a set of firmware files to suit?
- - If not, can someone please advise of the parameters I need to tweak?
- What version of Arduino should I use?
- What version of Repetier should I use?
- How do I clear the EEPROM to ensure I am re-starting from a clean base?

I have downloaded & tried many combinations of Configuration.h - some compiled with some versions of Arduino, others didn't.
With one combination; I can get to the point of the printer "working", but the X & Y axis seem to be wrong - twice the movement commanded (G1 X10.0 F2000) results in 20mm of movement. Z-axis appears to be correct.
I tried halving the XAXIS_STEPS_PER_MM in Configuration.h & uploading using Arduino 1.6.0, but it did not correct the issue. Maybe the value of 80 in "Steps per mm" in Repetier's (v1.6.0) "Firmware EEPROM Settings" is over-riding it?

Please help ... I am getting desperate now - I really need to get some prototype components made.
Thanks in advance, Ken.
Technical Director
Magnuson Superchargers
magicmushroom666
Prints-a-lot

Re: Replaced Rambo 1.1b with 1.3L. Now have drive ratio issu

Post by magicmushroom666 »

The firmware will over ride those values if enabled. Perhaps the microstepping settings are wrong? I think those are firmware only. Also whenever I download any of the rostock max firmwares, I have to adjust the steps per mm to suit my smaller metal stepper gears due to it being an early machine. Most of the firmware was configured after the larger plastic ones came out.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

The old 1.1 had 1/8 stepping while the 1.3 has 1/16 stepping.

As far as I've been able to tell the firmware setting for microstepping would never override the hardware, but just keep the math and timings in check.

Code: Select all

// Microstep setting (Only functional when stepper driver microstep pins are connected to MCU. Currently only works for RAMBO boards
#define MICROSTEP_MODES {16,16,16,16,16} // [1,2,4,8,16]
Make sure you have the line of code in your configuration set the same as above...
Southways
Noob

Post by Southways »

Thanks for responding.
magicmushroom666 wrote:The firmware will over ride those values if enabled. Perhaps the microstepping settings are wrong?
Do you mean that the compiled upload will override the "Steps per mm" in Repetier, or Repetier will override the upload?
magicmushroom666 wrote:Also whenever I download any of the rostock max firmwares, I have to adjust the steps per mm to suit my smaller metal stepper gears due to it being an early machine. Most of the firmware was configured after the larger plastic ones came out.
Are you referring to the toothed pulleys on the motor? Mine are aluminium... what is the correct "steps per mm" value (assume you are referring to the "Steps per mm" in Repetier)
ccavanaugh wrote:The old 1.1 had 1/8 stepping while the 1.3 has 1/16 stepping.
As far as I've been able to tell the firmware setting for microstepping would never override the hardware, but just keep the math and timings in check.

Code: Select all

// Microstep setting (Only functional when stepper driver microstep pins are connected to MCU. Currently only works for RAMBO boards
#define MICROSTEP_MODES {16,16,16,16,16} // [1,2,4,8,16]
Make sure you have the line of code in your configuration set the same as above...
My #define MICROSTEP_MODES is as above.
What do the numbers refer to - should I try 8, & if so, 8 in all 5 fields? I am somewhat confused because the Z-axis is moving correctly.
Are you able to advise on what version of Repetier and Arduino should I use?
Do you have any links to proven versions that you can send me?

Are either of you able to send me a working set of files?

Thanks.
Technical Director
Magnuson Superchargers
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

The printer will still home correctly if your steps/mm and microsteps are incorrect, but as you've mentioned is goes bad from there.

The MICROSTEP_MODES is the number of fractional/partial steps per physical step the motor makes. The older Ramo's were capped at 1/8 stepping (#define MICROSTEP_MODES {8,8,8,8,8}). The newer Rambo's are capable of 1/16 stepping #define MICROSTEP_MODES {16,16,16,16,16}. I would leave it at 16 and all should be the same.

The current RostockMAX uses a 20 tooth pulley on the stepper motors which gives you 80 steps/mm.

I suspect your RostockMAX uses a 18 tooth pulley which would be 88.89 steps/mm or 100 steps/mm if you have 16 tooth pulleys.

You will need to look at you old Configuration.h file to see what you had or count or measure the stepper gear to determine your correct tooth count and steps / mm.

As for arduino and firmware, I would read through the current installation guide and follow it for setup with the exception of the steps/mm. This includes following the full calibration process

Link to the well tested firmware is below.
https://github.com/seemecnc/Repetier-091-ROSTOCKMAX
magicmushroom666
Prints-a-lot

Post by magicmushroom666 »

As above, I also use 091, my steps per mm has been calibrated away from the ideal values by OpenDACT so won't be of must use for your particular printer. Also i'm using an older Rambo so stuck with 8th microsteping.

This works with Arduino 1.6.5 for me.

You should be able to use the same configuration that your old printer had I expect, even if it doesn't bring any new features.
Southways
Noob

Post by Southways »

The issue has now been resolved.

For your reference:
• For some reason Ardunio 1.6.4 did not seem to compile correctly. Ardunio 1.6.0 did work. I tried it on two different workstations and the result was consistent.
• Without clearing the EEPROM (File > Examples > EEPROM > EEPROM Clear), the new firmware did not load fully. I also increased the 512 to 4096 in the EEPROM Clear sketch.
• My 15 tooth pulleys were part of the issue – changed steps per mm from 80 to 106.66
• MatterControl 1.4 does not like the Nvidia Quadro FX360M, even with the latest graphics drivers. However, MatterControl 1.3 works fine.

Thanks for your help guys!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Hey Southways, great that you got it working and reporting that to us.
Happy Printing!

Return to “Troubleshooting”