Longevity of E3D Fan Shroud

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Longevity of E3D Fan Shroud

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Hey Guys!

I've had an E3D V6 since they were almost brand new and I've put several hundred hours on it. I've also printed some relatively high temps (260 for Taulman Bridge) but not even a full spool of it, and nowhere near the 400c advertised max.

During a disassembly for another accessory (new post coming soon) I noticed that the blue fan shroud appears to be cracked around the screw holes. There are also some "lava cracks" on the flat faces of the shroud. At first I thought these lava cracks might be a dried layer of hairspray or something like that, but they don't come off when scrubbed with an alcohol pad, so I believe that they're in the plastic itself.

Has anybody else seen this? I do remember thinking that the screw holes were a bit snug when I assembled the hot-end, but I've had it all apart a few times over the last year+ and never noticed anything like this before. The shrouds are certainly cheap enough to buy a few spares, and I'm happy to do it, but it kind of surprised me because I'd never thought of inspecting that part.

Thoughts?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/KjGwJAp.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/YnFsuQy.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/BugCYs9.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/dg4oGVM.jpg[/img]
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Longevity of E3D Fan Shroud

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Jimustanguitar wrote:Hey Guys!

I've had an E3D V6 since they were almost brand new and I've put several hundred hours on it. I've also printed some relatively high temps (260 for Taulman Bridge) but not even a full spool of it, and nowhere near the 400c advertised max.

During a disassembly for another accessory (new post coming soon) I noticed that the blue fan shroud appears to be cracked around the screw holes. There are also some "lava cracks" on the flat faces of the shroud. At first I thought these lava cracks might be a dried layer of hairspray or something like that, but they don't come off when scrubbed with an alcohol pad, so I believe that they're in the plastic itself.

Has anybody else seen this? I do remember thinking that the screw holes were a bit snug when I assembled the hot-end, but I've had it all apart a few times over the last year+ and never noticed anything like this before. The shrouds are certainly cheap enough to buy a few spares, and I'm happy to do it, but it kind of surprised me because I'd never thought of inspecting that part.

Thoughts?
I think that you just discovered another part that needs periodic checking. I would assume that the plastic they used is inferior for the usage it was made for. I think I will buy a few spares from Filastruder.
Last edited by Eaglezsoar on Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

I noticed the same thing on mine when I disassembled the hotend to play with dual extrusion.

I didn't think much of it because I was printing a new dual extruder fan shroud anyway, so didn't need the old broken one anymore.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

Yep, mine is cracked and it was never a tight fit from day one. I have just learned to live with it!
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Eagle, is it you or MHackney that's a beta for E3D? You ought to mention it to them while you test the V7.
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

Mine is fine..still looks brand new and I probably have a good 500 hours on it. It does freely spin around horizontally though.
I'm not an alcoholic...I'm Australian!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Jimustanguitar wrote:Eagle, is it you or MHackney that's a beta for E3D? You ought to mention it to them while you test the V7.
Jim, I used to monitor their forum but am no longer beta testing for them. I don't know if Michael has a relationship with them or not.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”

Return to “Troubleshooting”