Magical EEPROM reset

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Agisis
Printmaster!

Magical EEPROM reset

Post by Agisis »

Hello,
So for a few weeks, i was having some very real difficulty with larger prints, and basically printing with ABS was a total disaster regardless of filament I used. On a whim, I checked my EEPROM settings after having checked everything I could think of and tweaking the end-stop screws for hours. Somehow, someway, my EEPROM was set back to the original factory settings. This meant the arm lengths and horizontal radius of the bed were waaaay off, and my PID settings were about 50% for each of the settings.

First question is...how might the Rambo board cause itself to reset the EEPROM to factory settings? I have not experienced any weird anomolies, shut offs, etc....those we did have an electrical storm knock out the power in the middle of a print while I was away at the office (doh, didn't check the weather). i wonder if there is some type of auto-recovery on the Rambo board to reload the factory settings? Not sure what could trigger that.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Magical EEPROM reset

Post by teoman »

The RAMBO does that.

It has its inital settings that it writes to the EEPROM.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

What I'm about to say is based on when I was digging through the firmware months and months ago and is already 60% forgotten, but Repetier firmware uses a "magic number" that it stores to one of the eeprom registers. Every time the firmware starts, it makes sure that register contains the right magic number. If it doesn't, the firmware assumes the eeprom needs rewritten with default values. Maybe your power outage caused your magic number register to become corrupt somehow, which would have triggered the overwriting that you describe.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
Agisis
Printmaster!

Post by Agisis »

Interesting! Thanks for the tidbit of knowledge.

Return to “Troubleshooting”