[Video] Extruder motor problems

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
cujul
Plasticator

[Video] Extruder motor problems

Post by cujul »

Hello,

I have soldered the diodes (but not the optos) and everything works well except my extuder motor.. :cry: (I have to put the filament manually :P )

So, here is a video wich show how the motor block himself after 1 or 2 second I run it (with the shorcuts key).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AsvqNH4wWE[/youtube]
Direct link if there is a problem with the embeded video

I think the problem is that the motor run too fast, so:
How to control the speed of a motor in Mach3 ?

Thanks everyone
tom10122
Printmaster!

Re: [Video] Extruder motor problems

Post by tom10122 »

exact same thing happend to me with all my steppers, go to config then motor tuning, select the a axis for the extruder and lower the acceleration number until it works consistently
cujul
Plasticator

Post by cujul »

Thanks a lot, my motor is "working".

I have another, very very weird, problem: The motor change his DIR while it run. (I'm holdin the shorcut for running my motor, and after 2-15 sec, it will change it's direction...)

I don't know if it's the easy stepper, the motor, the gearings or Mach3. It's so strange....
tom10122
Printmaster!

Post by tom10122 »

hmmm, I don't have too many ideas but try to calibrate it , tell it to go a small number though so it always goes forward while its getting calibrated, also check to make sure your motor is connected well and correctly. My x-axis would move one direction then twitch . Then i realized the blue wire was disconnected.
Fiero2M6
Printmaster!

Post by Fiero2M6 »

I am having a similar issue. Mine actually used to work and was calibrated correctly, and now it does the exact same thing yours does. I haven't had time to troubleshoot the problem, but when you figure it out be sure to let everyone know. :D
cujul
Plasticator

Post by cujul »

I didn't found the problem....

I double-checked my wiring (but as the easy stepper was hard to solder, maybe it's the problem or maybe the stepper is dead).

Also, I tried every tuning for my motor...

To summarize:

If I set it to turn clockwise, it will block with a few step forward and a few steps backward

If I set it to turn anti-clockwise, it will run smoothly but at any moment, it will switch it's direction, (very very very annoying)

I'm considering a switch to a RAMPS board...
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

cujul, can you zip up your mach3 .xml file and upload it here, and I'll take a look at it later tonight. I believe it's in your motor tuning, is your native units in or mm?
cujul
Plasticator

Post by cujul »

Here is my Mach3 config : https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7LJV4 ... XVCSTRJUmc

The things I don't understand are :
Why it switch his rotation?
Why it turn only with the anti-clockwise command (wich will make it turn clowkwise at times) and don't turn with with the clockwise command ?

For me, it's very strange

It can be everything: Wiring, gearings, software, easy stepper, ... So it's a pain to debug :cry:
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

If it's swapping direction it's one of 2 things.
Either a lose direction connection from the PC to the driver, or the coils of the stepper are not correctly wired. If only one coil is powered it will randomly swap directions.
cujul
Plasticator

Post by cujul »

I think it's a "not so well" connected motor wire to the driver.
Or maybe it's the ground of the driver that I haven't soldered to the parallel port
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Def try soldering the gnd from the easydriver to the p port housing. That takes care of any interference ive seen
charles
Printmaster!

Post by charles »

My A-axis is making too much noise, too. Adjusted speed rate of 1% to 20% (MPG mode) and the noise remains. Realized adjustments in the menu config \ engine tuning \ A-axis \ velocity. The noise continues.(Mach3)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnFBevoTUyI[/youtube]
Last edited by charles on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
dougmsbbs
Prints-a-lot

Post by dougmsbbs »

Is that noise in the motor itself? Maybe I'm hearing it different, but that almost sounds like metal on metal.
Home made Cnc, 2 CarveWright wood carving machines, Laser cutter/engraver, large format vinyl cutter, large format printer, and now a 3D Printer! Oh, and a shop full of equipment to take large expensive pieces of wood and turn them into scrap and sawdust.
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

I agree with the dougmsbbs, it sounds like metal on metal rubbing against each other.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
charles
Printmaster!

Post by charles »

The noise starts when I tighten the screw in the center gear.
I do not think it's the engine. The noise starts after tightening the screw. watch the video.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZqfUKcPvVk[/youtube]
Last edited by charles on Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Printmaster!

Post by charles »

I need help.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZD-Ff3LH_A[/youtube]
AndGorew
Prints-a-lot

Post by AndGorew »

It's probably the two white gears on the left rubbing against each other. In the instructions in the extruded setup it says to not tighten that bolt too much.
charles
Printmaster!

Post by charles »

I read it. If I did not tighten the screw as the video, the inner shaft does not rotate (abs plastic).
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

charles wrote:I read it. If I did not tighten the screw as the video, the inner shaft does not rotate (abs plastic).
I would start by removing the motor completely and by hand running/spinning the gears, if you get no noise, start cranking down the longest bolt (the one with the double gears). Remember you only have to tighten it enough for it to hold and spin the gears and filament feeder.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
dgirard
Prints-a-lot

Post by dgirard »

I'm having exactly the same problem as charles...

If I leave that bolt loose enough there's no noise, but there's also no movement of the plastic gears inside...when I tighten it enough for the gears to turn, I get the grinding noise...

Could this be too much stress on the skate bearings?...it doesn't really sound like plastic on plastic...more of a metallic sound...

I'm also wondering (I need to get in there closer to check...) if it could be the extruder channels (that metal cylinder with the grooves for the filament) rubbing against the knurdled nut? I'm recalling there's not a lot of clearance there...

The noise doesn't seem to impact extrusion, but it sure doesn't sound good...

The other interesting thing is it seems to make the noise when feeding forward...when retracting it does not seem to make the noise.

Ideas/thoughts?
David
dgirard
Prints-a-lot

Post by dgirard »

OK...seems to be a plastic noise...there was no interference with the knurled nut...

I opened up the center axle and found a goodly amount of white powder between the two gears...I cleaned up all that powder, and tightened it all up again (paying careful attention to when the center gears start gripping...

seems to be working now...perhaps there was a burr in there that ground itself off...

I'll keep watching it...

Return to “Troubleshooting”