Hot end

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
ressiecnc
Plasticator

Hot end

Post by ressiecnc »

Hey guys my hot end fell apart!
hotend1.jpg
I turn on the power supply and I notice that the hot end was getting hot so I manually inserted the PLA in the extruder and the hot end started to extrude then the hot end fell off.

Should the hot end get hot before the g-code is sent? Also I tried to reconnect the PEEK barrel to the hot end and it looks like the threads are melted away or maybe there is some PTFE Tape melted on the threads in any case it does not stay on. What should I do? Do I have to buy a new Hot End? I have not even printed yet :(

Thanks,

Ressie
Ressie Fry
iTag Studios
Atascadero, Ca
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Hot end

Post by mhackney »

Ressie, the hot end is controlled by the Velleman thermostat kit with the stock H-1 electronics. Mach does not control the hot end, that is set manually on the thermostat, so the gcode will have no effect.

It does look like you torched the threads on the hot end. Contact John and Steve and let them know what happened. You do need a new one me thinks.

Cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Post by Chris Muncy »

Welcome to the club :-)
There are several that have over heated their hot ends. Make sure that your thermister is installed in the hot end or the Velleman board will never de-energize the juice to the heating resisters.
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5
Dave_Sohlstrom
Printmaster!

Post by Dave_Sohlstrom »

Ressie

How are you checking your hot end temp. I have installed a thermocouple into the side of my hot end and keep my digital volt meter in temp mode when ever the hot end has power going to it. Saved my hot end from the same problem you had when my thermistor came out of it's hole.
Dave Sohlstrom

H-1 Tank
ressiecnc
Plasticator

Post by ressiecnc »

I just ordered a couple of new PEEK barrels...I was wondering about the thermistor not working. I had the board set to the lowest setting and the relay did not switch off. Where about on the dial should I set it to? Is there away I can check to make sure it is working ? Also do you guys fill the hole with silicone before and after you insert the thermistor?

Thanks,

Ressie
Ressie Fry
iTag Studios
Atascadero, Ca
Chris Muncy
Printmaster!

Post by Chris Muncy »

I can tell you that if you are printing ABS that you should see 3.7vdc to 3.9vdc between pin 12 on the IC and ground on the Velleman board. That corresponds to about 200C at the hot end.
Chris Muncy
H-1 #5

Return to “Troubleshooting”