Prints Stopping

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
printer999
Prints-a-lot

Prints Stopping

Post by printer999 »

hey guys I am using a Orion and all of the sudden Whenever I print something I get a few layers in or many times less and the print just stops and the printer wont respond to repetier host unless I restart it. Someone please help. I think this may be because I now use slic3r 9.9 but even when I use Cura to get G-code the same thing happens. Please help!
DavidF
Printmaster!

Re: Prints Stopping

Post by DavidF »

Try printing from the SD card...
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
printer999
Prints-a-lot

Post by printer999 »

I use a mac air without a sd card slot. I wish I could but the card reader that I bought for just that reason never worked
printer999
Prints-a-lot

Post by printer999 »

printer999 wrote:I use a mac air without a sd card slot. I wish I could but the card reader that I bought for just that reason never worked
Well I have found the ultimate solution! yes! And now it works. I put the SD card into my gopro then plugged that into the computer no more problems now. Thanks!
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

Good deal, that was surely thinking outside the box. Personally I was thinking your screwed LOL....
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

DavidF wrote:Good deal, that was surely thinking outside the box. Personally I was thinking your screwed LOL....
As a Mac user, he should be used to it by now.

*runs*

:D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

I ran a long print last night and got up this morning to a print that stopped. LCD said "Killed" no other indication.

Also running off of a macbook air.

and Gene, you slight my not-so-fragile state of mind. ;)
I am a fool entrapped within my own wisdom.
dpmacri
Printmaster!

Post by dpmacri »

neurascenic wrote:I ran a long print last night and got up this morning to a print that stopped. LCD said "Killed" no other indication.

I run my printer from a MacBook Pro. Early on I found that the power-saving features (even when connected to battery) were causing USB disconnections and prints would stop. I've since disabled all power-saving except for the display (if you don't shut it off, it won't last as long) and haven't had any problems since.
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

dpmacri wrote:
neurascenic wrote:I ran a long print last night and got up this morning to a print that stopped. LCD said "Killed" no other indication.

I run my printer from a MacBook Pro. Early on I found that the power-saving features (even when connected to battery) were causing USB disconnections and prints would stop. I've since disabled all power-saving except for the display (if you don't shut it off, it won't last as long) and haven't had any problems since.

Makes perfect sense... Long run, I will be running off of an SD card any way. I am only doing this for setup. I don't have a USB cord long enough to connect to my Tower, so I am using my wifes MB Air. Too, no point in dedicating a 12 core Pro to printing. hmmm. Octoprint...

thanks for the insight!
I am a fool entrapped within my own wisdom.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Yeah, power management is the kiss of death to a USB-connected 3D printer.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
derwoodvw
Printmaster!

Post by derwoodvw »

I print from an sd card and a lot of my prints stop. It seems to be only on longer print jobs. I have only had it a week and this has happened about ten times. having second and third thoughts. POS!
emile1138
Printmaster!

Post by emile1138 »

I have the same problem, but I've noticed it ONLY happens when I turn on supports in Slic3r.

I'm still working on figuring it out...
----------
Caleb Fairres
Media Manager / Assembly Technician

601 Sroufe Street
Suite 200 / Dock 2
Ligonier, IN 46767
(765) 884-4100
[email protected]
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

geneb wrote: As a Mac user, he should be used to it by now.

*runs*

:D

g.
As a mac user I laughed :)
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
derwoodvw
Printmaster!

Post by derwoodvw »

emile1138 wrote:I have the same problem, but I've noticed it ONLY happens when I turn on supports in Slic3r.

I'm still working on figuring it out...
I posted the fix for this in another thread. If you are using the memory card that came with it, then that is the problem. You need to use a class 4 or higher card.
0rionN00b
Printmaster!

Post by 0rionN00b »

derwoodvw wrote:I print from an sd card and a lot of my prints stop. It seems to be only on longer print jobs. I have only had it a week and this has happened about ten times. having second and third thoughts. POS!

1. do not write your .gco directly to the SD card. write it to your hard drive, then copy that file over to your SD card.
2. you can read thru the .gco file prior to copying to see if it's complete or not..

Frankly after I started doing step1 above, I've never had a failed print again.

SD cards are fickle. they're cheap, unreliable, and downright trash. but they fit a purpose. Just don't trust them any more than you have to......

Return to “Troubleshooting”