Tops of my prints get ruined

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Mike&Mr.Stevens
Plasticator

Tops of my prints get ruined

Post by Mike&Mr.Stevens »

Sometimes the tops of my prints get ruined. I am running a H 1.1 on repetier with marlin firmware. 0.2 layer height. Any tips on how to fix this?
DSC00342.JPG
DSC00333.JPG
foshon
Printmaster!

Re: Tops of my prints get ruined

Post by foshon »

Looks too hot IMHO, I would slow the printer down to 50% when it gets about 3/4 up the head.
Purple = sarcasm

Please do a board search before posting your question, many have been answered with very time consuming detail already.
dsnettleton
Printmaster!

Post by dsnettleton »

Looks too hot IMHO, I would slow the printer down to 50% when it gets about 3/4 up the head.
I agree that it's too hot. I always thought slowing the print speed down would increase heat buildup, though. Am I wrong?
Trust me, sir. I'm a wizard.
foshon
Printmaster!

Post by foshon »

dsnettleton wrote:
I agree that it's too hot. I always thought slowing the print speed down would increase heat buildup, though. Am I wrong?

In my experience allowing the lower layers to cool a bit before I lay more down seems to cool everything down. A fan would accomplish much the same thing.
Purple = sarcasm

Please do a board search before posting your question, many have been answered with very time consuming detail already.
Mike&Mr.Stevens
Plasticator

foshon wrote:
dsnettleton wrote:

In my experience allowing the lower layers to cool a bit before I lay more down seems to cool everything down. A fan would accomplish much the same thing.
I do have a 50mm fan on the back. It kicks in occasionally, I don't know what settings to put in under that cooling section in slic3r, so I left it default. How do I go about making it so it slows and cools after the first 75% of the print? Here is a picture of my setup and my best print so far.
DSC00350.JPG
DSC00351.JPG
You guys are really helping, thank you!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I'm getting similar results and will be experimenting with a cooling fan this weekend. Between slowing down and using a fan, I hope to get this figured out.

Let me know what works for you, and I'll share my results too.
foshon
Printmaster!

Post by foshon »

Jimustanguitar wrote:I'm getting similar results and will be experimenting with a cooling fan this weekend. Between slowing down and using a fan, I hope to get this figured out.

Let me know what works for you, and I'll share my results too.

If you are using Slic3r there is a special section for controlling the fan. It can be activated any time the layer will take under "x" seconds to complete. The time needed to complete smaller layers or in the case of a tapering model can be calculated by figuring the circumference in mm of the desired "on" layer and using movement speed to get a time reference. As an alternative, you can turn the fan on for the entire print and raise the nozzle temp 5-15 degrees.

I switch my bed fan on manually when I think it is needed. I realize this doesn't help an unattended print session, but it works great for items where quality is a large concern.
Purple = sarcasm

Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I assume from all the talk about fans that all of you are using PLA?
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
foshon
Printmaster!

Post by foshon »

Eaglezsoar wrote:I assume from all the talk about fans that all of you are using PLA?

From the way the top of that knight looks, it wouldn't make a difference.
Purple = sarcasm

Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I'm printing ABS. This is what my heat issues look like:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/h0YfBy2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/uo2E8Hl.jpg[/img]
foshon
Printmaster!

Post by foshon »

That looks more like speed to me Jim. In the first pic you can see circular layers that were pulled inward from poor/no adhesion.
Purple = sarcasm

Mike&Mr.Stevens
Plasticator

I use ABS. Me and PLA don't get along.

Return to “Troubleshooting”