Constant jamming with an e3d V6

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
shmadum
Plasticator

Constant jamming with an e3d V6

Post by shmadum »

I got my rostock max v3 some time ago and before I assembled it I purchased an e3d v6 to replace the he280 because I wanted to print in polycarbonate. I have the correct mount and have it working properly with the accelerometer board but for some reason it constantly jams. Every print will start well, perfect first layer...and then Ill hear the EZ extruder start to skip and it jams. I think what is happening is that as the extruder carriage moves it wiggles the PTFE tubing loose, which then leaves a little gap in the heat break where filament can collect and cause a jam. I think this is happening but in theory all I would have to do is put a bowden tube clip on the black coupler and then the ptfe tube would be locked. I did this and it didnt help. I know Im using a genuine e3d but maybe the PTFE tubing is wrong some how and thats why its slipping? Anyone have similar problems?
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Re: Constant jamming with an e3d V6

Post by DeltaCon »

Usually a first layer gets printed more slowly. Try to decrease the overall printing speed. I also suffered a lot from cloggs. My guess is that the heat transfer capacity of a standard E3D v6 is rather low and therefore hasty people (like me!) want to melt too much filament in too little time. The Volcano heatblock is a big upgrade in that regard.
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
shmadum
Plasticator

Post by shmadum »

DeltaCon wrote:Usually a first layer gets printed more slowly. Try to decrease the overall printing speed. I also suffered a lot from cloggs. My guess is that the heat transfer capacity of a standard E3D v6 is rather low and therefore hasty people (like me!) want to melt too much filament in too little time. The Volcano heatblock is a big upgrade in that regard.
Interesting, I never considered that. I will lower print speed and try again
thingismith
Printmaster!

Post by thingismith »

Sounds to me like you're over retracting... You print the first layer, and it retracts when it starts the next layer. Too much and the melted filament in the block gets stuck in the cooling chamber.

I can never go over 4mm. Try lowering your retraction to 3-4mm, and use wipe and coast.

Return to “Troubleshooting”