First Layer Thickness

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
brianmichalk
Printmaster!

First Layer Thickness

Post by brianmichalk »

When I print my first layer, I'm having problems with nozzle height near the X and Z columns. I've seen other threads on this, but I haven't seen how to address it. I'm certain its not an uneven surface, because as soon as the nozzle moves in a different direction, the line thickness changes. All of my belts seem to be tight enough. I did buy a new hot end, when my original required overhauling. Is there some alignment test other than V3probing I should be doing?
Attachments
IMG_20170717_135936.jpg
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Re: First Layer Thickness

Post by lightninjay »

Have you made certain that the hotend has no noticeable play in it? For example, while the hotend is cooled down, can you reach up and see if the hotend has any wobble when you jiggle it?
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
brianmichalk
Printmaster!

Post by brianmichalk »

I will check for play after my print finishes.
brianmichalk
Printmaster!

Post by brianmichalk »

The hot end is rigid. However, I turned the stop switch screw on the X post in by 1/4 turn, and the problem has gone away. Maybe the switch was between steps on the motor?

Return to “Troubleshooting”