Top layer not closing

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
jponitz
Plasticator

Top layer not closing

Post by jponitz »

My infill layers are frequently not overlapping with the perimeters. This is most prevalent on the top layers, which results in some ugly flat top faces (see photo). I've tried incrementally bumping up my Infill Overlap settings in MatterControl, as high as 1.0 mm (the suggested default is 0.25), and the simulated Layer View shows a lot of overlap, but the actual prints do not. Any ideas?

For what it's worth, I recently made a bunch of upgrades to my old Orion: new carriages, ball joint arms, HE280 hot end, and EZRstruder. Print quality is otherwise pretty good since the upgrade, but I don't remember having this issue before.
Attachments
Top layer
Top layer
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Re: Top layer not closing

Post by Tincho85 »

Is it because of the camera lens or the centers of the tapered cube are inflated?
Martín S.
jponitz
Plasticator

Post by jponitz »

I don't think the corners are actually inflated--the overall geometry and print quality are pretty good. I've printed a variety of shapes, and the flat tops are never quite closed.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

You don't have enough top layers. You want 3 minimum.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
joe
Printmaster!

Post by joe »

I usually try for 6 layers on a flat surface and up 12 for a curved top finish
knabo
Printmaster!

Post by knabo »

It looks like some of the lines overlap the perimeters and some don't. Unfortunately there is not always a simple answer. Due to the randomness of the end lines I might suggest you try changing the temperature you are printing this filament.

Does your first layer look the same way?

What type of filament is this? If it is ABS, the model might be too cold for proper adhesion.
jponitz
Plasticator

Post by jponitz »

Thanks geneb and joe for the suggestions on layers--I'm currently printing 5 top layers, so I don't think that's the issue, but will bump it up.

Thanks knabo for the temperature idea--I'm printing PLA at 200, I'll play around with that. The first layer looks similar, but a little better, because it gets a little more smooshed against the build plate. The intermediate infill layers are often not connecting either.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

that sounds like either too high a layer height for the nozzle size, or too little extrusion over all. But the sides on the tapered cube don't look starved or too tall either. Perhaps it's an issue with the track width settings, or overlap?
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Do you get the same results with a different slicer?
Martín S.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Hi.

What is your nozzle size and extrusion width set to? It looks like those top lines are pretty fat...

Return to “Troubleshooting”