Nozzle is high when printing after calibrating Z=0 at papers width...

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
craftymethod
Printmaster!

Nozzle is high when printing after calibrating Z=0 at papers width...

Post by craftymethod »

(Rostock V2, currently calibrating no prints done yet)

Would I be correct thinking my horizontal radius needs to be adjusted to get my Z=0 back to its calibrated position when printing?

I assume even tho I have my Z calibrated, When trying to print, the current Horizontal Radius setting results in lifting the nozzle about 1mm high than my calibrated Z=0?

Cheers guys.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Re: Nozzle is high when printing after calibrating Z=0 at papers width...

Post by IMBoring25 »

If it's right at the center of the bed and gets progressively higher as you move away from the center in any direction or vice versa, that should be horizontal radius.
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

IMBoring is correct. Setting Z=0 is totally something else than adjusting horizontal radius. I you hang a nickle on a rope and pull it to the right (increase X) you will also see it go up. That is because of the fixed radius of the rope. Your horizontal radius is to correct for that, and make horizontal movements horizontal movements (add a negative radius to correct the fixed radius of your arms swing). You only need to adjust your horizontal radius if you see (or measure) the distance between the nozzle and the glass increase or decrease while moving from centre to edges of the bed.

If you set Z=0 with the paperdrag method, home, go to Z0 again and the distance is different from what you just set, than you probably have some value in your EEprom for probe distance. That needs to be 0 if you don't have a probe.
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

DeltaCon wrote:IMBoring is correct. Setting Z=0 is totally something else than adjusting horizontal radius. I you hang a nickle on a rope and pull it to the right (increase X) you will also see it go up. That is because of the fixed radius of the rope. Your horizontal radius is to correct for that, and make horizontal movements horizontal movements (add a negative radius to correct the fixed radius of your arms swing). You only need to adjust your horizontal radius if you see (or measure) the distance between the nozzle and the glass increase or decrease while moving from centre to edges of the bed.

If you set Z=0 with the paperdrag method, home, go to Z0 again and the distance is different from what you just set, than you probably have some value in your EEprom for probe distance. That needs to be 0 if you don't have a probe.
DeltaCon,
I think your statement about probe distance is not correct. I have read the code and I think the probe distance value is only used when you use the auto calibrate the machine with the HE280 hot end. When manually setting Z=0 it is not used. What I think is happening is that maybe his paper is thick and of course then the Z = 0 height above the bed will be the thickness of the paper.

I agree about the horizontal radius and the original poster (craftymethod) should really go read the calibration procedure again in the manual where it describes how to set the horizontal radius. Setting Z height and horizontal radius is a mutual and iterative process of adjusting both as described in the manual.

Dale
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Dale Eason wrote:I think your statement about probe distance is not correct.
Dale, I think you are correct ;-) I never used the probe-height setting with manual Z height setting. Sorry for the confusion. Would be nice though, then you could use it to correct for paper thickness ;-)
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Circus621
Prints-a-lot

Post by Circus621 »

Can the z= height be used to adjust the nozzle height before a print? I'm having an issue where after calibration the nozzle will "dig in" to the bed. It presses firmly for the first 2 or 3 layers and blocks the flow of the filament. I'm sure if i raise it 1 mm or so (tinkering will be required) it may help. Not sure if its caused by different model software's or something in my settings. I cant imagine i need to calibrate after every print? I have purchased a probe from Seemecnc that needs to be installed (looking for a guide on that as well). I am currently using Rostockmax v2, ed3 v6.
O.o
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

Yes you can set the Max Z height in EEPROM yourself and then print. That is what I do. However it may be better to set the probe height value instead to compensate. Then whenever you calibrate you may not need to go change the Max Z height.

Dale
Circus621
Prints-a-lot

Post by Circus621 »

Thanks Dale. I will need to get that probe installed. Sounds like life gets easier once I do.
O.o

Return to “Troubleshooting”