Z Probe Woes

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
thechewiestbacca
Printmaster!

Z Probe Woes

Post by thechewiestbacca »

I hate to bother you guys on Super Bowl Sunday, but I've narrowed down the cause (or what I think is the cause) of why the probing code fails to work on my Romax V2.

So... here's what I've got:

When I run the probing code in MatterControl, the hotend lowers staright down, and then moves/scrapes towards the X-Axis to calculate horizontal radius. When it reaches the X-Axis, it does its doubletap, but the ball cup arms "buckle" because it's jamming into the bed too hard. It then re-homes and repeats the maneuver.

If I open the GCode Terminal as the calibration sequence is running, the only data output that seems incorrect is "Z Probe Failed on Sensitivity: (whatever value I have set in configuration.h)". Then, MatterControl automaticaly changes the preset sensitivity value, two incriments greater than that of before. As the probe continues to run its process/fail, so does the auto-changing of the sensitivity values. It will continue to rise until it reaches "40"

I've done all I can, and now I'm turning this issue over to you guys for your input before I e-mail support or smash my printer.
pouncingiguana
Printmaster!

Re: Z Probe Woes

Post by pouncingiguana »

Do you have your V2 setup as a V2 in the firmware, or did you modify the V3 settings? The V2 setup is the way to go and things can get weird when you force it to a V3. Just a hunch.
thechewiestbacca
Printmaster!

Post by thechewiestbacca »

Your comment reminded me to change the Z_MAX_LENGTH from 395 to 350. I can't believe I missed that...
karlclayton
Plasticator

Post by karlclayton »

I have had the same problem. I upgraded the cheapskates, PSU, new HE280 print heat with accellerometer, ball joints and whip.

Once I sent a calibration request G29 to the printer to start calibration it would sometimes double hit the towers or grind into those locations but at some point it would successfully do X, Y and Z. Once it did the Z probe it failed like explained here by increasing the sensitivity until 40 then error out with Z-probe failed.

I used the mentioned values to shrink the probe area but why does the z probe fail.

Is there a way to calibrate without the auto system as it obviously is very rough at this point?
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

Yes there is a manual way but the G29 when you have your settings right and build correct works very well. The manual way is to do what you use to do before the upgrades.

However if you want I might be able to help you through your problems. Some of the most common problems are loose connections. If you look through the archives where I have posted you can find manual command that will help you diagnose where the issues are. I have forgotten the exact command but there is one that reports the status of the sensor. With that command you can diagnose if the sensor is working properly by thumping the sensor.

I'm not where I can look that command up now. But if you can not find it let me know and I will research it once more.

Dale

Update: the command is M261
karlclayton
Plasticator

Post by karlclayton »

Here is my update that fixed all the problems. It is quite a process but follow it closely and you will get great prints:

1. Using Arduino IDE clear the EEPROM and upload the Rostock MAX firmware. Make sure you change configuration.h to use Rostock Max V2 or what ever printer you have. http://seemecnc.dozuki.com/Guide/Step+5 ... irmware/50
2. You can either use mattercontrol or Repeiter for the next processes to send gcode to the printer.
3. Send to the printer G29 which starts the tower calibration sequence. If at any time the head crashes then wait for the sequence to finish, turn the printer off and on again. Re-connect to the printer and send the G29 code again. When you have no crashes but the Z probe fails don't worry.
4. Next we have to go old school. On the LCD go to "Advanced Settings>Calibration Menu>Home positon" then in the same menu click "Z position". In this screen you see the z position of the hotend which should be around 350. Place a piece of paper on the bed and lower the head by rotating the panel knob clockwise until it nearly touches the paper. Slowly move the head closer until the paper is hard to move freely but can still move. Press in the control knob to move back to the previous menu and move down one option to "Set Z origin" and press the knob to set the z origin. It will make a click noise. Now your Z height has been stored to the EEPROM which is what failed on the autocalibrate.
5. Send the PID tuning code to the printer at 15 degrees higher than the temp you want to print at. If you are printing ABS at 235C then send M303 P0 S250 X0 . Wait for it to finish. Once finished you must turn off your printer and disconnect your software. Turn printer on and reconnect. Resend the same code in this case M303 P0 S250 X0 . You must do this to reach your temp.
6. At this point to level the bed you must run the Delta calibration wizard at this link https://www.seemecnc.com/pages/delta-calibration-wizard

Now your printer should print perfect and heat perfect.
tomcapizzi
Plasticator

Post by tomcapizzi »

I am having very similar issues on an Orion.

I upgraded my old(er) Orion hotend, arms, wire harness, and shuttles..and the software (as far as I have gotten so far) cannot be loaded in a way that the machine knows which way is up!

The calibration fails every time I upload the recent builds of the EEPROM firmware. When I load the 2015 build, the printer homes perfectly the first time (of course the new hotend fails!). Loading the new software, the hotend works, but it will not calibrate, and will not home. When I hit "home" the printer lowers about and inch until the hotend crashes on the bed.

Has anyone had this happen? How did you fix it?
tomcapizzi
Plasticator

Post by tomcapizzi »

Thanks for posting the information above http://forum.seemecnc.com/memberlist.ph ... ile&u=4354 , I used your step by step instructions, and it homed correctly the first time after I uploaded the firmware that I downloaded from the HE280 product page.

However, NOW it will not display the correct temperature. When I use your instructions to adjust the temp, the hotend heats up, but the correct temperature is not displayed, and when the hotend is hot enough, the printer, as you probably guessed, will not start.

This upgrade has been the biggest nightmare. I cannot believe they would release an upgrade with so many potential land mines!!

Return to “Troubleshooting”