print in the wrong spot with slic3r

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
mark.gesing
Plasticator

print in the wrong spot with slic3r

Post by mark.gesing »

Hi everyone,

I've been having trouble getting models with thin walls to print well in MatterSlice, looking at the Layers view in the viewer in MatterControl it starts/ends each layer in the same spot, resulting in a gap in the printed part.

[img]MatterSlice.PNG[/img]

I managed to get some good looking G-Code out of slic3r, (no gaps visible in software when I look at layers view) except that they are placed off of the edge of my build volume!
[img]slic3r.PNG[/img]

How can I get slic3r to center the model properly?

Thanks,

Mark.
Attachments
slic3r.PNG
MatterSlice.PNG
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: print in the wrong spot with slic3r

Post by Mac The Knife »

There is a setting you missed in Slic3r telling it where the center of the bed is. I believe they describe it as bed offset, and it needs to be set at x=0 and y=0
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Download Slic3r as a standalone program and import the gcode. The integration of the bed shape settings in MC still isn't correct.
mark.gesing
Plasticator

Post by mark.gesing »

IMBoring25 wrote:Download Slic3r as a standalone program and import the gcode. The integration of the bed shape settings in MC still isn't correct.

OK, I have slic3r installed on my linux machine now. . . I don't have a graphical front-end, but I should be able to figure out how to do what I need from the command-line.
mark.gesing
Plasticator

Post by mark.gesing »

Mac The Knife wrote:There is a setting you missed in Slic3r telling it where the center of the bed is. I believe they describe it as bed offset, and it needs to be set at x=0 and y=0
In MatterControl that's listed under Settings&Controls->Settings->Printer->PrintArea

Unfortunately, although setting this to 100, 100 instead of 0, 0 lets me show the paths in the middle of the build area in MatterControl, it still tries to print off of the build surface.
mark.gesing
Plasticator

Post by mark.gesing »

I managed to get a print going with slic3r by exporting the gcode from MatterControl (using the slic3r back end) and then using the following code to subtract 100 from both X and Y:

Code: Select all

#! /usr/bin/env python
infile=open('zero_zero.gcode', 'r')
for line in infile.readlines():
    newline = ""
    if 'X' in line and 'Y' in line:
        for token in line.split(' '):
            if 'X' in token:
                newline = "{} X{:<10.2f}".format(newline, float(token.strip('X')) -100)
            elif 'Y' in token:
                newline = "{} Y{:<10.2f}".format(newline, float(token.strip('Y')) -100)
            else :
                newline = "{} {}".format(newline, token)
    else:
        newline = line
    print(newline)

Return to “Troubleshooting”