Bed temperature when Printing from SD

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
mark.f.masters
Noob

Bed temperature when Printing from SD

Post by mark.f.masters »

I recently updated my Rostock v2 (not with a ATX PS) to use the HE280 hotend.  Until now, I have been printing directly from matterControl, but the prints have become unbearably bad, so I switched to Cura and printing with SD card.

When I print from the SD card, the bed temperature invariably drops which is fatal to ABS prints - pulling up. However, if I print from mattercontrol, the temps stay constant. I have no idea why printing from the SD card would make a difference. Regardless, it is frustrating and I have yet to find a solution - so I am asking for any advise.

Thanks,

Mark
morgandc
Printmaster!

Re: Bed temperature when Printing from SD

Post by morgandc »

I would suspect different settings between MatterControl and Cura, not the SD card. Perhaps first layer temp or something like that?
mark.f.masters
Noob

Post by mark.f.masters »

That was a good idea. However, I could not find a first layer temperature in the cura settings AND I would expect that if that were the case that the target temperature would change - which it does not. Thank you for the suggestion though.

I wonder if it could be from using the v3 firmware rather than v2? since that is what I did when I installed the HE280 hotend.

thanks,

Mark
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

I had similar problems show up a few weeks after converting my V2 to the HE280 hot end. It could not maintain temperatures above 200 something when the bed was also on. I tried a different power supply (my own lab supply) I had and that fixed the problem. I talked to tech support and they said it sounded like I needed the newer supply they now use that has more power than the ATX supply. I ordered that and installed it now all is good.

I see on the HE280 upgrade site that they now recommend the new supply along with the new ball arms etc.

Dale Eason
mark.f.masters
Noob

Post by mark.f.masters »

That was my first thought too. I have yet to measure the power supply output when running. However, I have found that the temperature maintains fine when printing with gcode generated by mattercontrol. I only have issues with gcode generated by cura.  So, now I have to see what is the problem. There must be a flaw in my what I have done to get cura to work.

Thanks for the help.  
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

Have you compared the non movement portions of the gcode?
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

Oh, and the location on the bed you print can make a huge difference on bed temp...
mark.f.masters
Noob

Post by mark.f.masters »

Thanks! Looks like it was a total user error. I had neglected to set the gcode format in cura to repetier, and it was on reprap. For some reason the end result was the heater did not run at full capacity or turned off.   
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

Glad you found it!
BacklashRC
Plasticator

Post by BacklashRC »

Dale Eason wrote:I had similar problems show up a few weeks after converting my V2 to the HE280 hot end. It could not maintain temperatures above 200 something when the bed was also on. I tried a different power supply (my own lab supply) I had and that fixed the problem. I talked to tech support and they said it sounded like I needed the newer supply they now use that has more power than the ATX supply. I ordered that and installed it now all is good.

I see on the HE280 upgrade site that they now recommend the new supply along with the new ball arms etc.

Dale Eason
Dale, what upgrade site are you referring to? I am having nightmares trying to get my bed to stay warm.
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

BacklashRC wrote:
Dale Eason wrote:I had similar problems show up a few weeks after converting my V2 to the HE280 hot end. It could not maintain temperatures above 200 something when the bed was also on. I tried a different power supply (my own lab supply) I had and that fixed the problem. I talked to tech support and they said it sounded like I needed the newer supply they now use that has more power than the ATX supply. I ordered that and installed it now all is good.

Dale Eason
Dale, what upgrade site are you referring to? I am having nightmares trying to get my bed to stay warm.

SeeMeCNC of course. https://www.seemecnc.com/collections/pa ... eter-probe

Return to “Troubleshooting”