Temperatures read "Def"

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Ucfmop
Plasticator

Temperatures read "Def"

Post by Ucfmop »

I have noticed for large prints and heating the bed to 90 degrees C or more for a couple hours that the printer will throw a "double def" error while the hot end continues to move without filament running through it.

In addition: I have noticed as well as others here that the V3 is advertised to reach 110 C however the highest I have been able to get it is 100 and that is without a fan. Also a problem I noticed is that the temperature gradient from the center of the bed to the edge can be as much as 15-20 degrees.

I am not sure that this problems are connected. but I have a suspicion. I was wondering if I need to pull apart the hot end and reattach the thermistor and reapply the thermistor for the bed as well. Any help is appreciated.
TruckerGeek
Prints-a-lot

Re: Temperatures read "Def"

Post by TruckerGeek »

I am having the exact same problems. I purchased a new, factory assembled, HE280 for my V2 and it has not helped. I noticed that MatterControl is getting the and displaying the correct temp.

I cleared the eeprom, downloaded and installed the latest firmware. Nothing has helped and I have been unable to print since these started a little over a week ago. I was using a little hotter bed temp 100, maybe).
SeeMeCNC Rostock MAX V2 (w/HE280), Raspberry PIs and Arduinos
A licensed truck driver (CDL), former US Air Force Firefighter and high end computer geek
TruckerGeek
Prints-a-lot

Post by TruckerGeek »

Turns out my printer was cold (winter weather passing through Michigan). I read through the post listed below and realized my temps were between 17 and 19°C. I turned on the heater in my enclosure and the problems went away.

http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... Def#p99545
SeeMeCNC Rostock MAX V2 (w/HE280), Raspberry PIs and Arduinos
A licensed truck driver (CDL), former US Air Force Firefighter and high end computer geek
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I experienced the same thing yesterday. After bringing the printer in from the car, both temps read around 11C, and I got a DEF error. Since both temps had a reading, and they were similar, I knew that I didn't have a wiring issue, so I waited for the printer to reach room temperature. After that, no problem.
Circus621
Prints-a-lot

Post by Circus621 »

I'm having the same issue. Reading 18.8 for the extruder and 17.6 for the bed. Going to get a space heater and see if it will remedy the problem.
O.o
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

17.6 will cause the "def" issue. I've been dealing with it for the last week on 3 different printers. Safety vs Winter. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
ExplodedZombie
Printmaster!

Post by ExplodedZombie »

Lowering the min defect temp in the firmware is a slightly unsafe way of fixing this. Put mine to 10 since 11 is about the lowest it gets in the room.
Mekra
Plasticator

Post by Mekra »

I started having this issue also. Starting up the printer and all temps read around 25-26, I start the print and about maybe 5-10 layers the temps go to def and keeps printing. I press the reset and def goes away and temps go back. I did re-seat my connector and was able to do a few 8 hour prints, but now its back. Should I re-wire my connector? Is there a way to get the print to stop if a def is sensed?

I am running a V3 with a E3Dv6.
Rostock Max V3, 713 Maker Effector, E3D v6, Berd-Air Max.
Doug68
Printmaster!

Post by Doug68 »

5 to 10 layers is not long, can you heat the bad and the hot end and both get to and hold temp properly when not doing a print?
If not then look at the power supply, is my guess.
Mekra
Plasticator

Post by Mekra »

Doug68 wrote:5 to 10 layers is not long, can you heat the bad and the hot end and both get to and hold temp properly when not doing a print?
If not then look at the power supply, is my guess.
That is a good idea, I will give it a try and see if I am able to. I may look into rebuilding my whip and see if that makes a difference.
Mekra
Plasticator

Post by Mekra »

It held solid temps for 30 minutes, and was able to perform a 3 hour print without issues. We will see when this def issue returns.

Return to “Troubleshooting”