Measuring Hotend Temperature

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Fiero2M6
Printmaster!

Measuring Hotend Temperature

Post by Fiero2M6 »

I'm trying to print will PLA, and I'm having trouble measuring exactly what temperature my hotend is. How are you guys measuring it? I've thought of buying a thermocouple and using that, but it would be really nice to just use the thermistor already in the hotend. The SeeMeCNC website says that the thermistor has 4k Ohms of reistance at 200C. From my reading, the PLA should be at 185C. Does anyone have a temperature versus resistance graph for this thermistor? At a minimum, it would nice to know the thermistor's resistance at 185C.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Measuring Hotend Temperature

Post by mhackney »

Over on the Yahoo SeeMeCNC group is a thread that has a spreadsheet with this info in it. It might be in the files area there too. I use a thermocouple and touch it right at the junction of the brass nozzle and steel hot end. Once you set for a particular temp, it is stable through power cycles so I don't measure every time.

cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Found the spreadsheet: Hot End Temp

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Fiero2M6
Printmaster!

Post by Fiero2M6 »

Thanks for the info. On the graph in the spreadsheet, is the x-axis k Ohms of resistance of thermistor or is it the voltage of your thermocouple?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

You will need to ask the author. Search in the yahoo group.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Fiero2M6
Printmaster!

Post by Fiero2M6 »

Found it here: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/SeeM ... r=1&tidx=1 The x-axis is the voltage at pin 12 of the comparator chip on the the thermostat. For PLA, it should be between 2.8 and 2.5 volts. He measured the hysteresis is about 12C. I'll probably try lowering that for better PLA printing.

Return to “Troubleshooting”