My Rostock Max V2 has gone into reverse.

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

My Rostock Max V2 has gone into reverse.

Post by Dale Eason »

I have been using my Max V2 for 2 years. Today I was adjusting the horizontal Radius for a different build plate. At some point I told it to home while it was close to the build plate. Instead of going up it wend down and banged into the plate. So I powered off and back on. Now a home command from matter control or the Max V2 control panel makes it go toward the plate at a slow speed until it then stops. I assume it is looking for the limit switches to be set but when it does not find them within a timeout it quits. It is doing this at a much slower speed than it use to use for homing.

Using the Max V2 Menu "Z position" the knob moves all three motors as expected to move the head up and down like it did before this happened. So the motors and direction are all still good I think.

Is there some setting I messed up in the EPROM that I don't realize I touched? Most EEPROM settings I looked at still seemed reasonable.

Thanks for any help.

Dale
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: My Rostock Max V2 has gone into reverse.

Post by Nylocke »

Seems like the endstop switches are "triggered" somehow. Check that they are still connected/not activated. Its moving down a little bit because of the homing routine. It moves up quickly until the endstops are triggered, then moves down a few mm and back up slowly until they are triggered again. If they are always triggered then they just move down.
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

NyLocke,
Thank you. Good call. They are all low even when pressed. Now I just have to upon it up and figure out why that happened.
Maybe something has fallen on the circuit.

Dale
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

Opps, I was wrong they are H when closed and L when open. So I think they are operating normally. Darn.

Dale
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

Ok, I have figured it out. From the EEPROM settings of:
X max length [mm]|250.000
Y max length [mm]|250.000
Z max length [mm]|-15.925

The Z max length looked a bit wierd and I thought it probably should equal the x and y settings values. Next I looked at the source code for the Repitier.
I found those settings with the value of 350 for each one.

I change the bad Z max length [mm] to 250 to match the x and y and now it homes correctly once more.

So somehow that Z max length was changed but I don't know how. I did not do it on purpose. I also wonder If I should change all values to 350.

Dale
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

The x and y values don't have to mach the Z. I'm pretty sure the firmware ignores them. I wasn't aware of what happens when you set z max length to be negative. Thats sure a new one.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Nylocke wrote:The x and y values don't have to mach the Z. I'm pretty sure the firmware ignores them. I wasn't aware of what happens when you set z max length to be negative. Thats sure a new one.
As Nylocke has indicated, that is a weird one but I am happy that you found the problem!
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Dale Eason
Printmaster!

Post by Dale Eason »

Thanks people,

I know realize that Z does not have to match and in fact will be set by the Set Z position of the Menu commands on the LCD.

I think I know when the bad Z was set now. I had homed the machine and was on the set Z position screen. I wanted to get back to the top level LCD display but forgot to move the cursor to the top before pressing the knob. Instead that set the Z position to the Home position and probably started setting the Z to negative somehow.

Dale

Return to “Troubleshooting”