Terrible vertical walls

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
bernards
Plasticator

Terrible vertical walls

Post by bernards »

Hi All,

I have a problem I can't seem to solve. The horizontal walls look good, but the vertical walls are a mess. I tried adjusting the infill overlap. But that caused holes to form on the horizontal floor.

I am using Mattercontrol with a rostock max v2 fitted with a Duet board. The thickness of the wall is 2mm. Is there a setting I should be tweaking in mattercontrol?

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/663 ... G_0748.jpg[/img]

Many thanks.
Rubikscuber202
Noob

Re: Terrible vertical walls

Post by Rubikscuber202 »

It looks like you are overextruding quiet ab bit. Also it looks like you could lower the temperature a bit, just guessing because it looks so glossy. What material are you using?
also what are your current settings?
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

Wow... that looks awful...
Are those big blobs hollow or massive? I am thinking of moist in your filament that causes airbubbles while heating. But I have not seen that this bad, and I have no explanation as to why that is no problem in the horizontal walls.
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

That's an interesting result. I would start over on tweaking your settings. Measure your filament, tune the extruder, then measure your extrusion width (The size of the bit coming out of the nozzle, it will not be the nozzle size itself). re-tweak the extrusion temp (Print a tower starting at the lowest practical temperature, then increase it say 5 degrees every centimeter. Find the temp zone you like best) Adjust your fan settings and minimum layer time.

In all honesty, I cannot think of settings that would produce a good lower section and then fall apart that rapidly on the vertical wall (Unless it's only this part and similar ones, it may have a bad mesh, and thus think you need a lot more material in sections. Look at the layer view in mattercontrol. If it has visible artifacts, clean it with netfabb cloud, then check again)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

a few options:

too much heat
not enough cooling(either fans or printing speed adjustments via slicer settings)
printing too fast
printing too slow
bernards
Plasticator

Post by bernards »

I've tried a few things. I under extruded by 10% and it looked stringy like your regular underextrusion. I also tried thickening the wall to 5mm. Results is still the same.

Filament is eSun's PLA+. Same problem with ABS and PLA from other brands. Printing speed is mattercontrol's default. I have 3x cooling fans installed with the cooling set at default.

No bubbling. Extruder calibrated to at least 99.99% accuracy.

It's seems like when it comes to these vertical walls, the extruder goes haywire.

Hotend at 190
Layer height 0.2
Infill 30%
Infill overlap 0.6mm
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Post by Glacian22 »

Does it happen when you try to print multiple vertical walls at the same time, like if you print a box? If not, then it's probably a cooling issue. I'd try cranking the speed way down, printing something with multiple walls, and crank the cooling to maximum and seeing how that goes.
bernards
Plasticator

Post by bernards »

Thanks for all the help.

Strangely, the problem was caused by a bad bowden tube. Every time there is a small z axis movement, it'll put pressure on the filament near the nozzle. The extrusion slows to a trickle, then squirts a blob when the pressure becomes too high.

It took a ton of filament and troubleshooting to get to the bowden tube.
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

Thank you for updating this thread with the solution.
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
Cura slicer, Duet Wifi, iMac
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

bernards wrote:Thanks for all the help.

Strangely, the problem was caused by a bad bowden tube. Every time there is a small z axis movement, it'll put pressure on the filament near the nozzle. The extrusion slows to a trickle, then squirts a blob when the pressure becomes too high.

It took a ton of filament and troubleshooting to get to the bowden tube.
It's great that you found the problem!
What did you have to do to fix it, new bowden tube?
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
bernards
Plasticator

Post by bernards »

Update.

The problems continued. Tons of filament, meters of bowden tubes and hours of troubleshooting later. I am ashamed to say, the problem was due to the PEEK fan being installed the wrong way. That caused the filament to melt in the heatsink, jamming the hotend.

I even have a new E3D hotend on the way. But problem is solved now.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

huh. That's an interesting symptom. Glad you found it, and that the rest of us can add that tidbit to our knowledge base.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Good job in finding the problem and don't feel bad - you are not the first to do this. Most of the others will not admit it. :)
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”

Return to “Troubleshooting”