Rostock Max v2 continuously restarting

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Humanzee
Plasticator

Rostock Max v2 continuously restarting

Post by Humanzee »

So, I got my machine assembled without too many hitches, it had been making decent prints and I was chipping away at calibrations while I built the table it is to live on. I got the table built, moved the machine across the room to the table, and now when I turn it on it continuously cycles between the "Repetier 091S Rostick MAX SeeMeCNC" startup splash screen thing and the normal "Noz: Bed: Rostock MAX OK, etc." screen. I assume it is restarting every time it does this.

I cleared EEPROM, and re-uploaded Repetier (downloaded via the link in the instructions). Didn't do anything.

I checked the forums as best I could and found some similar issues that came up when they started up the hot end or heated bed, and it was suggested there that the restarting is symptomatic of a short somewhere, so I went looking for shorts. I haven't found any wires rubbing against pulleys, or other obvious wiring problems, except that one of the wires in the screw terminals on the connector that plugs into the RAMBo was loose. Not disconnected, but loose. So, I fixed that with no change.

I'll go through it some more hunting for shorts, but assuming there aren't bare wires touching each other somewhere, what's my next step? Then it's either the power supply or the RAMBo itself, right? How do I isolate the problem further before I go buying new parts?

Or, better yet, what's the simple solution to this common problem?

To sum up: Machine was working great, got moved and was continuously restarting. There are no obvious shorts.
Eric
Printmaster!

Re: Rostock Max v2 continuously restarting

Post by Eric »

Divide and Isolate.

First, try it without the computer attached if you haven't, just to eliminate the computer/USB as the cause of restarting.

Then check input voltages. Are they close to 12V? Do they stay 12V during the reset cycle? Probably not power supply then, although it's not totally ruled out.

Power off, unplug everything that's pluggable except the power connector and lcd. Try again. If it's still restarting, power off, remove all the connector wires except the power connector. Try again. If it's still restarting, power off and remove the LCD adapter. Try again (watch board lights or use computer to see if it's restarting...you should know the light pattern by now). If it's still happening, then you really have isolated it down to the rambo or power supply.

On the other hand, if it stops happening, then start adding things back (power off, of course) until it happens again. Now you know what to look at. Let us know.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Check to make sure that the reset button on the LCD controller isn't being held down. Also make sure that you're not one or two pins off on the little adapter board that interfaces the LCD cabling to the RAMBo.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Mine did that once when the sd card was not properly inserted.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Humanzee
Plasticator

Post by Humanzee »

Holy crap, it was the SD card. I put it in just because I had it even though I print from a MatterControl Touch. I may never have even remembered I had one in there.

Thanks for the isolation procedure anyway, but thanks even more for the easy fix!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Good catch, Teoman!
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Luckily for me it started doing it when i inserted it lazily so it was an easy catch.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

Return to “Troubleshooting”