Ticking Power supply?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Jrjones
Printmaster!

Ticking Power supply?

Post by Jrjones »

So it appears my power supply has developed a tick, or a drum set.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen before? It was completely silent (except for fans) up to yesterday, and ticks each time the heated bed power switches. I can hear over the stepper motors while the printer is printing.
I don't hear anything when the hot end cycles.
I don't think it could be the rambo board, so I figured it would be the power supply (a 360W 12V LED style power supply, similar to the new ones SeeMeCNC uses).

A video of the ticking: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E ... ideo%2cmp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I haven't opened the printer yet to examine the power supply closer, I'm going to try to that this weekend.

If anyone has any ideas of what it could be I would appreciate it.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Ticking Power supply?

Post by teoman »

Sounds like a relay.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
thedoble
Printmaster!

Post by thedoble »

Yeah, seems to have that on/off sound of a relay.

I suggest against dismantling the power supply unless you really know what you're doing. Better to just replace it, they're cheap enough.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

My psu also does click (24v) i think it is for different power modes or the fan. Has not bothered me so i did not investigate further as it has done it since day one.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Jrjones
Printmaster!

Post by Jrjones »

I would say a relay as well, but there's no relay anywhere on my printer or PSU

Hmm weird, I took my power supply out of my printer to try and localize the click noise, and now it doesn't make it anymore.

teoman, I think my psu's fan is a simple on/off switch. It uses a temperature switch similar to this one to control its fan: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16492 ... html#blank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Jrjones wrote:I would say a relay as well, but there's no relay anywhere on my printer or PSU

Hmm weird, I took my power supply out of my printer to try and localize the click noise, and now it doesn't make it anymore.

teoman, I think my psu's fan is a simple on/off switch. It uses a temperature switch similar to this one to control its fan: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16492 ... html#blank" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Could it possibly a fan on your printer making that clicking noise?
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
magicmushroom666
Prints-a-lot

Post by magicmushroom666 »

Could be a bad connection between the power supply and rambo. If there was a bad connection (higher resistance) then the large current draw from the bed would pull the supply down to everything else, (assuming they are on the same supply cable) and this changing voltage could be audible in something mechanical such as a fan or the motors.

Return to “Troubleshooting”