Need Retraction calibration Help

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
buggy
Printmaster!

Need Retraction calibration Help

Post by buggy »

So currently I am printing out the hallow pyramid to try and calibrate my retraction when I noticed it was doing something weird. I have been searching for a little while with no results so I thought I would ask much more experienced Rostock maxers for imput. Each one of my pyramids comes out with like a squished tip.

Update - So Im still trying to calibrate my retraction and so far im having no luck. I switched to a different object to speed up the process and no matter what i change i cant seem to get an improvement on my prints. I started off at 0mm for retraction at a speed of 30mm/s on the move as a base. I then printed at 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, and 4mm till i didnt see any improvement. i then increased the speed to 40mm/s, then 100mm/s, then 150mm/s with no noticeable change. am i missing something? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Printer information
Rostock Max V2
E3D v6 Hotend .4 nozzle
Mattercontrol 1.4
Attachments
IMG_20160131_182939.jpg
Last edited by buggy on Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
techstorage
Printmaster!

Re: Retraction calibration

Post by techstorage »

It looks like your temp is too high. There is a great thread on this, calibration pyramid challenge. It has a lot of information on it.

http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... enge#p6591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by techstorage on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buggy
Printmaster!

Re: Retraction calibration

Post by buggy »

I will definitely check out that thread! Currently I'm printing abs at 230 and 85 bed temp, I will lower the temp of the extruder and reprint!
Sonrisa3D
Printmaster!

Re: Need Retraction calibration Help

Post by Sonrisa3D »

https://www.matterhackers.com/articles/ ... -to-oozing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thanks for the interesting link, made for good reading.
nebbian
Printmaster!

Post by nebbian »

Also note that some firmware (I know that Marlin does this) limits your retraction speed even if you have firmware retraction set to "off". Note that hitting "retract" in pronterface was NOT being limited by this firmware limit. Totally crazy, but I verified it twice.

I was running into similar issues, and solved it by:
1) Increasing retraction speed in the firmware. It was set to 25 mm/s. I bumped this up to 50, which made a massive difference.
2) Increasing speed of non-print moves. You want the head to quickly get to the next printing spot before it has time to ooze.

I have no strings or branches in my prints now, they look great.
buggy
Printmaster!

Post by buggy »

Thank you guys for the information, i have had no luck improving my prints using mattercontrol with matterslicer so i thought i would give repetier host a try given that it was the software that was originally used. So far my prints have been turning out a lot better with regards to the stringing and blobs i was experiencing with mattercontrol.

Return to “Troubleshooting”