Sloppy FINE Prints, 0.1mm Layer Height

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
flipnoy
Noob

Sloppy FINE Prints, 0.1mm Layer Height

Post by flipnoy »

Hi all, I just got my Rostock Max V2 all set up and all but I seem to have issues with printing items at 0.1mm layer height :cry: (see pics below). My prints are almost flawless at 0.25 layer heights. Any ideas what I can tweet to achieve acceptable prints? :?: :?:

My current setup is a RS Max V2 with a E3D V6 hotend and im using Slic3r engine to compile my gcode using the recomend settings from the seemecnc download section.

0.25mm left, 0.10mm right
IMG_4435.JPG
Ooze Test
Ooze Test
Thanks in advance for your help.
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Sloppy FINE Prints, 0.1mm Layer Height

Post by bubbasnow »

its going to be trial and error at .1 layer heights, slow your printer down a bit and tweak the nozzle temps
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Post by Glacian22 »

What material are you printing with? And what speeds/temps?
nebbian
Printmaster!

Post by nebbian »

Which model are you printing? I do most of my prints in ABS at 0.1mm height, I'm getting quite nice prints now if I do say so myself :)
I can share settings with you if you can provide the material used, and the model.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

0.5mm nozzles are pretty borderline for 0.1mm layer heights.
You can get there, bit it requires a lot of messing around, extrusion width, temperature, speed and cooling are all critical to get right.
The nozzle tends to remelt the already extruded plastic, leading to poor surfaces, so you have this juggling act of fast enough not to melt too much plastic, but not so fast the extrusion just snaps, with enough cooling to reduce the temperature of the extruded plastic enough so that when the head goes back over it, it doesn't met too quickly.
You also need to increase extrusion width as layer heights drop, the plastic being extruded is stretched, and if there isn't enough material extruded it tends to snap when trying to print surfaces over infill.

Ideally you want a smaller nozzle orifice, say 0.35 or less, but they have their own challenges.
fletcher
Prints-a-lot

Post by fletcher »

When running any small parts where the extruder more-or-less hovers directly over the part, residual heat builds up and keeps your plastic from cooling. I have had success with running my layer fan at 15%, on ABS, for small parts. Any faster than 15% will cause other problems for you, like the part lifting off of the table, or warping.
flipnoy
Noob

Post by flipnoy »

Sorry for the lack of information.

But I'm printing with:
0.4 Nozzle
3 fans mounted on Effector
ABS

Infill, solid, top solid = 30 mm/s
perimeters = 30 mm/s
gap fill = 30 mm/s
travel 200 mm/s
first layer speed = 15 mm/s/

hot end temp = 245 degree
bed temp = 80 degree (I cant get my bed above that for some reason)

Part: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:22263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also have a canola oil cartage before the extruder motor.

nebbian, I would love to try using your settings.

Thanks again fellas.
nebbian
Printmaster!

Post by nebbian »

It's not perfect, but should be enough to get started.
IMG_5254.jpeg
Here are my settings. Note that it helps to have a very weak fan wafting a gentle breeze across the surface, when dealing with such small objects.
Filament settings
Filament settings
Layers
Layers
Speed
Speed
Extrusion width
Extrusion width

Have a careful look at your printer while printing. Chances are that your prints are curling up and touching the nozzle as you print, which means more heat transfer to the plastic below. Try reducing your layer fan speed or increasing bed temperature if you can.

Return to “Troubleshooting”