Printing small objects - Marvin

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Printing small objects - Marvin

Post by KAS »

thedoble wrote:
KAS wrote:Whatever you do, don't submit your Marvin till it's perfect. It will determine your starting rating for your hub.

I received 4 out of 5 stars for this.

Could you share your print settings, nozzle size etc? This looks like a step up from what I'm achieving right now.

I'm using simplify3D and a promethus .4mm hotend. I'll attached my FFF settings, but I don't remember the exact settings I used.
Rostock MAX v2.txt
(11.04 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
nebbian
Printmaster!

Post by nebbian »

As Run DMC once said, it's Tricky, tricky tricky.

Temperature control is paramount, also I found that I had to lower the bridging flow ratio to 0.25 in slic3r to get his eyes looking halfway decent.
Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 2.21.02 pm.png
Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 2.21.02 pm.png (193.39 KiB) Viewed 2693 times
This was printed with a 0.4mm nozzle in ABS, using 0.1mm layer height, external perimeters around 15 mm/s, internal speed around 20 mm/s, with a fan blowing across the build plate.

There are still some issues with this, so I'm still tweaking and upgrading my setup before pressing "Go" on 3DHubs.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Just a well meaning suggestion, you may want to pick up a smaller nozzle for this small work.
Once tuned in I think it will greatly improve your already great prints.
nebbian
Printmaster!

Post by nebbian »

Eaglezsoar wrote:Just a well meaning suggestion, you may want to pick up a smaller nozzle for this small work.
Hmm I have 0.3mm and 0.2mm nozzles lying around ready to try... Have you tried printing detail like this with smaller nozzles?

I've heard that smaller nozzles jam quite easily, would you agree? I've read that people have to put foam around the filament before it goes through the extruder so that it cleans the dust off.

tbh most of my work is quite fine detail, think custom Lego pieces and you've got a good idea of what I do most of. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a go.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

nebbian wrote:
Eaglezsoar wrote:Just a well meaning suggestion, you may want to pick up a smaller nozzle for this small work.
Hmm I have 0.3mm and 0.2mm nozzles lying around ready to try... Have you tried printing detail like this with smaller nozzles?

I've heard that smaller nozzles jam quite easily, would you agree? I've read that people have to put foam around the filament before it goes through the extruder so that it cleans the dust off.

tbh most of my work is quite fine detail, think custom Lego pieces and you've got a good idea of what I do most of. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a go.
My only experience with a small nozzle is a .25mm nozzle that I used to do a special print. As long as the temperature and the retract distance and speed are correct
then there is no jamming. 3D printing is all experimentation and keeping well detailed logs so that you know what worked in the past. Will a small nozzle work for you?
Only you can answer that. Happy Printing! :)

Return to “Troubleshooting”