Stringing or Ooz Problem? - Looking for Advice

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
briankb
Printmaster!

Stringing or Ooz Problem? - Looking for Advice

Post by briankb »

I'm using Simplify3D to generate the slicing for the photos and using deltamaker pla.

The ooz-tests photo were all using the exact same settings except for changing the retraction from (lowest) 0.3mm, 0.5mm, and 1.0mm retraction. Temp for all was 200/60.
ooz test multiple retraction settings
ooz test multiple retraction settings
This is a much better example of the excessive stringing on regular prints.
ooz example
ooz example
Here are some examples I did while only changing the temp from: 185c (top), 190c, 200c, 210c, and 220c (bottom). It's hidden in this photo but the ledges on the right are poorly done on all but the 220c print. Bed for all is 60c.
temp test examples
temp test examples
I would appreciate any suggestions on what to try next to rid my prints of this hairline stringing.
Last edited by briankb on Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
- CNC's: Rostock Max upgraded to v3.2, Prusa i3 MK3 MMU, Formlabs Form SLA, Shapeoko3 CNC, Palette+, Palette 2 Pro
- Software: Fusion 360, SpaceClaim Engineer, Simplify3D, Repetier Firmware & Host, VCarve Pro
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Re: Stringing - Ooz Regardless of Temp or Retraction Adjustm

Post by lightninjay »

I run my retraction settings for most filaments anywhere from 5mm to 6.5mm with a retract speed of 60-100mm/s.

I also usually run my PLA prints at 210C with a bed of 70C.

These settings will however change with each type and/or color of filament you use. These could be a starting point for testing that you can use.

Hope this helps!
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
briankb
Printmaster!

Re: Stringing - Ooz Regardless of Temp or Retraction Adjustm

Post by briankb »

lightninjay wrote:I run my retraction settings for most filaments anywhere from 5mm to 6.5mm with a retract speed of 60-100mm/s.

I also usually run my PLA prints at 210C with a bed of 70C.
Thanks!

I tried 1mm but thought any more and it would cause problems as the machine these are on is a direct drive and not a boden. I'll try bumping it up 1mm at a time to reach 5 and 6.5mm and update with those results here.

I also found running PLA at 210c gave the best finish and results, I'll try bumping the bed up 10c more.
- CNC's: Rostock Max upgraded to v3.2, Prusa i3 MK3 MMU, Formlabs Form SLA, Shapeoko3 CNC, Palette+, Palette 2 Pro
- Software: Fusion 360, SpaceClaim Engineer, Simplify3D, Repetier Firmware & Host, VCarve Pro
nebbian
Printmaster!

Re: Stringing or Ooz Problem? - Looking for Advice

Post by nebbian »

+1 on bumping up your retraction length.

Mine was set to 4mm, and I had wicked spiderwebs all over my parts. I bumped mine to 5mm and all is well with the world (mine is a bowden though).

Return to “Troubleshooting”