Issue with Metal Universal Joints and Axles Rostock 2

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
HesDeadJim
Printmaster!

Issue with Metal Universal Joints and Axles Rostock 2

Post by HesDeadJim »

Experienced a problem with one of the metal universal joints and the axle on my printer recently and thought I'd share. The metal Universal Joint became locked (and I mean LOCKED) onto the axle rod at the top of my Y tower skate causing all kinds of printing and calibration issues with my Rostock 2 printer. Yes, I had MAJOR Delta Arm Blues. I've noticed that they have now switched to a plastic UJ in the "newer" versions so maybe this was a known issue and has been addressed. I took a picture of the axle and UJ ...you can see where the UJ locked onto the rod in the photo. The rod is straight (my first thought was that it got bent somehow) so I'm not sure how the UJ became so attached to it. I've since replaced the metal UJs with the plastic and it solved my printing and calibration problems. (Yay! No more Blues!) For those still using the metal version, it might be worthwhile to switch to the plastic version. My printer was down for quite a while and I wasted many, many hours trying to calibrate it pulling what's left of my hair out in the process. Save your hairdos and check your joints and axles!
Attachments
20150509_144838.jpg
20150509_144828.jpg
Steve S. (HesDeadJim)
Omaha, Nebraska
Rostock Max v2

"I am Dyslexia of Borg. Fusistance is retail. Your ass will be laminated."
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Issue with Metal Universal Joints and Axles Rostock 2

Post by Polygonhell »

This was a pretty common problem with the V1's and why I assume they moved to plastic ujoints.
Having said that my original kickstarter V1 still had no issues with this when I recently swapped out for trick laser arms and all I did was smear some lithium grease on th rods before I assembled them.

Return to “Troubleshooting”