HOT END not maintaining target temp with fans on anymore

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Print_This
Printmaster!

HOT END not maintaining target temp with fans on anymore

Post by Print_This »

i have been running my dual fans like this for 2 months, no problems, now when i start a print it rises to the target temp, but i can tell the hot end seems to take longer, even with fans off its not as fast as before, then when it starts printing it drops lower to 140 for sure as well and if i switch fans off it will rise again, or when i drop fans to 25% manually. so before i run out and get a new hotend setup with new resistors, could this in fact be a problem with the PSU or just my hot end coming to its life end? its the original on mine

so far its not an air bounce issue because i can be 3-5 inches off the bed and same thing. besides i ran these 2 fans for 2 months no issue it just started randomly now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOW5NPbTu7Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--------------
If you survive chicago winters you can survive 3d printing!
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: HOT END not maintaining target temp with fans on anymore

Post by teoman »

Check the resistance of your resistors.

Check the rtv.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Brian
Printmaster!

Post by Brian »

New resistors are cheap.

You probably had an air bubble in the silicone that caused a hot spot and one of the resistors failed at that point. I had this happen and I reinstalled the new resistors but wrapped them with copper foil tape first, which really spreads the heat out and makes air bubbles a non issue even if they are present in the high temp silicone RTV.
Print_This
Printmaster!

Post by Print_This »

Brian wrote:New resistors are cheap.

You probably had an air bubble in the silicone that caused a hot spot and one of the resistors failed at that point. I had this happen and I reinstalled the new resistors but wrapped them with copper foil tape first, which really spreads the heat out and makes air bubbles a non issue even if they are present in the high temp silicone RTV.
ye good thought, is it hard to remove them after install or better off buying new hotend. but also thougth about getting the newer hot end setup wonder if i should just replace the whole hotend with newer anyways
--------------
Brian
Printmaster!

Post by Brian »

I'd fix the stock one and then use it to make all the bits would will need to mount a new one, then keep the stock one as a spare in case of an emergency.
Print_This
Printmaster!

Post by Print_This »

Brian wrote:I'd fix the stock one and then use it to make all the bits would will need to mount a new one, then keep the stock one as a spare in case of an emergency.
ye seems like a good idea, ill get a new Bowden Hotend setup, then rebuild the old like you said for a spare.
--------------

Return to “Troubleshooting”