Overhanging Perimeters edges warp upward

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
MattBill1
Plasticator

Overhanging Perimeters edges warp upward

Post by MattBill1 »

ok, I will attach a pic to help but let me try and describe my issue first.

when printing something like say a pyramid, I have no problems. If I were to print that same pyramid upside down ( i know that would be stupid but imagine it for a moment ) each layers outer most path hangs half on the previous layer and half out in space. This is where my problem happens, the portion of the path that is not on top of the previous path warps up dramatically causing a bowl effect. As the print continues the nozzle starts pushing this warped layer around and obviously causes problems. I have tried different temps and adjusting everything I could think of to no avail, has anyone else has this issue that could help me?

If you look at the pics, the first one you can slightly see how the part ( ignore the support material ring around the outside ) is bowl shaped and that the edge is much higher than the infill even though its all the same layer.
bowl warping 1.jpeg
The second pic is level with the same print and shows just how much of a bowl effect i'm getting over what the layer height should be by comparison to the support material ring.
bowl warping 2.jpeg
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Overhanging Perimeters edges warp upward

Post by bubbasnow »

its not cooling by the time your nozzle is going over it again. you could install layer fan/more layer fans to cool it down faster. you could also print 2 of these just to increase cooling time.
MattBill1
Plasticator

Post by MattBill1 »

But its ABS, so I have heard thats a no no.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

The top is cooling and shrinking, which pulls it in and up. More heat and faster printing might help, as may a denser infill.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Layer fans and ABS are a source of debate here on the forum (for good reasons) but it seems like you're at the point where you ought to give it a try. ABS that is still gooey will curl like that, and adding a fan can definitely help if done right. I like using a layer fan on ABS, personally.
Brian
Printmaster!

Post by Brian »

Wouldn't reducing the layer height be a better option? The thinner layer will cool faster, and will have less volume to shrink, and so you won't need to change anything else.

Return to “Troubleshooting”