Nozzle Temp?

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
derwoodvw
Printmaster!

Nozzle Temp?

Post by derwoodvw »

As some of you know I have had several issues with my new Orion. Lately the nozzle temp runs about 3-5 degrees below target temp. It reaches target temp at the beginning of the print but after about two minutes it drops and can't seem to climb back up. If the layer fan kicks on for just a few seconds it drops a full 10 degrees and the filament starts to jamb and it takes a long time just to get back up to 5 degrees below target temp. I was just starting to get great print quality and now this crap. This does not happen until the print starts. Are other new orion owners having these problems or is it just me?
derwoodvw
Printmaster!

Re: Nozzle Temp?

Post by derwoodvw »

I guess i'll just have to compensate for it and set the target temp 5 degrees high.
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

Does it take a long time for the hot end to get up to temperature? Just wondering if the heater isn't in there tight and it's not making good contact. Or, as you say, bump up the temperature a bit and see if it helps. You're right though, it shouldn't drop that bad.
derwoodvw
Printmaster!

Post by derwoodvw »

I don't know exactly how the heater assembly goes together. How do I tighten it? Thanks.
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

On the hot end, there are 2 holes that heater resistors slide into. Typically to get the resistors in tight, they are wrapped with aluminum. If you wanted to check out the Rostock build manual, the section for the hot end build should give you an idea of how it's put together.

Power off obviously, you could very carefully grab the wires of the heated resistor and just see if it slops around in the hot end. I'm very much doubting it, but it would be something I would check myself.

You mentioned that when you turn on the parts fan, the temperature drops. The fan should be pointed right at the end of the nozzle and shouldn't be pointed at the aluminum block at all. Maybe it's been bumped?

I know you have an Orion and while some people don't like it, there are still a lot of ins and outs to these printers that everyone should really know. I would recommend for anyone with the Max or the Orion to go through the assembly manual to see just how the thing works. It has a section about tuning the hot end so that it heats properly, and while yours has probably already been done from factory, it still couldn't hurt to get to know that kind of stuff.
derwoodvw
Printmaster!

Post by derwoodvw »

Thanks.
derwoodvw
Printmaster!

Post by derwoodvw »

Everything is tight. Seems like a power management problem to me. I say this because the nozzle temp goes up when the bed temp is reduced during a print.

Return to “Troubleshooting”