How to connect to computer

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
smithers45
Noob

How to connect to computer

Post by smithers45 »

I'm probably way behind most of everyone else on this forum, but how exactly do I connect the parallel port of my computer to the 3d printer? Like which board, which connection does that actually happen on because I can't seem to find it in the electrical schematic. I'm a true novice at this stuff so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Re: How to connect to computer

Post by guanu »

You connect the parallel port from your computer to the 3-axis board with the included parallel port cable. the 3-axis board is the larger circuit board that all the motors connect to.. motors connect to one side of the board, the parallel port is on the other.

Guanu
Extrude3D
Printmaster!

Post by Extrude3D »

guanu wrote:You connect the parallel port from your computer to the 3-axis board with the included parallel port cable. the 3-axis board is the larger circuit board that all the motors connect to.. motors connect to one side of the board, the parallel port is on the other.

Guanu
If you do not have a parallel port on your computer, you can buy a Parallel -> USB Adapter on eBay
-Extrude3D/Brent
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

Extrude3D wrote:
guanu wrote:You connect the parallel port from your computer to the 3-axis board with the included parallel port cable. the 3-axis board is the larger circuit board that all the motors connect to.. motors connect to one side of the board, the parallel port is on the other.

Guanu
If you do not have a parallel port on your computer, you can buy a Parallel -> USB Adapter on eBay
Unless Mach3 has changed/upgraded drivers, that is not supported. I haven't used Mach3 in a while, but last I used it, Mach3 did not support a USB->parallel port adapter. They need direct hardware access to a parallel port, the USB device does not have a hardware address that drivers/tools can utilize.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Extrude3D
Printmaster!

Post by Extrude3D »

michaellatif wrote:
Extrude3D wrote:

Guanu
Unless Mach3 has changed/upgraded drivers, that is not supported. I haven't used Mach3 in a while, but last I used it, Mach3 did not support a USB->parallel port adapter. They need direct hardware access to a parallel port, the USB device does not have a hardware address that drivers/tools can utilize.
My Vex Robotics USB->Parallel adapter from my first kit had some awesome drivers (both software and it had a small harness that I have never seen before) that I still use with softwares similar to Mach3 that do not support a usb->parallel port. I am not positive if it will work with mach3.

They have a discussion going on there too: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index. ... 80.30.html
-Extrude
-Extrude3D/Brent
Leeway
Printmaster!

Post by Leeway »

I tried them before with Mach and they are no go. You can use Mach 3 with USB, but you need a different USB drive device like Smooth stepper. There are a couple others as well in development.
You won't find PP's on newer computers unless you build your own. Many do add additional cards. I have as well and they work fine. If you use the two port add in cards, be sure you use the correct address for the slot you are plugged into.
Lee
Extrude3D
Printmaster!

Post by Extrude3D »

PCI-E Cards (for a budget):

PCI-e Card: http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Expr ... B001Q7X0Z8
PC-e Card [More Expensive]: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D3 ... VXXQS65607

-Extrude
-Extrude3D/Brent
Leeway
Printmaster!

Post by Leeway »

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... &CatId=512

Amazon's is a little better priced on express cards.
didn't check New egg.
Lee

Return to “Troubleshooting”