Bed Adhesion Issue

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
jjenco
Prints-a-lot

Bed Adhesion Issue

Post by jjenco »

Okay, so I have a RostockMAX v2 which has printed fine in the past. I recently moved the printer to across town to a new location. I also took the opportunity to upgrade it with a new HE280 hotend. Lastly, while I have been using glue sticks for bed coating preparation, I read in one of the forums that hairspray worked well so I started trying it instead.

The issue is that I'm having mixed results that perhaps have to do with poor bed adhesion. I've tried printing carbon fiber petg and abs. Carbon fiber noz @ 250C and bed @ 60C. ABS noz @ 228C and bed @ 80C. Fans are off.

I checked the Z axis and found it needed recalibration. Re-calibrated the bed as well. Didn't solve the problem.

I have also tried less/more hairspray and increased the brim size. I seem to get good adhesion initially but after the part builds about 0.125" high I start seeing lifting of the part from the bed as the part begins to warp up at one edge or another. Thoughts?

Thanks

John
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Bed Adhesion Issue

Post by Xenocrates »

It's quite possible that you have a draft, or colder air where you are now, that is causing at least some of the increased warping. An enclosure (Box, cabinet, or even a dedicated set of panels actually attached to the printer), may help, as would heating it (for the ABS). A slight increase in extrusion multiplier can help further, and Polyetherimide (Ultem or PEI), works well as a bed material to increase adhesion with no treatments.

Let us know if you go with any or all of them, and how they work out for you.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
rootboy
Printmaster!

Post by rootboy »

And don't be afraid to squish the first layer down a bit (lower your Z height).
jjenco
Prints-a-lot

Post by jjenco »

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. They gave me lots of things to consider that I hadn't thought of on my own.

Among other things I had removed my borosilicate plate and cleaned it with alcohol, which of course removed all residue from the surface. I think that it just had to build up enough hairspray to reach a point where good adhesion could occur. It now seems to be working fine for ABS parts. If lifting occurs when I switch back to carbon fiber, then I'll have to rethink.

Thanks again!
rootboy
Printmaster!

Post by rootboy »

Our work printer does this fairly frequently. We counteract it by applying three coats of glue after washing the bed. We don't use hairspray at work, but I use it at home with great results.

Return to “Troubleshooting”