1.2 mm Volcano + trimmer line

Having a problem? Post it here and someone will be along shortly to help
Renha
Printmaster!

1.2 mm Volcano + trimmer line

Post by Renha »

Hi. I was trying to print this part https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1278865/ with 1.2 mm Volcano nozzle using 0.065 inch trimmer line nylon, and results aren't great.
20180106_181758669_iOS.jpg
20180106_183746534_iOS.jpg
20180106_190315859_iOS.jpg
Temperature was 256 degrees celsius, print speed 60 mm/s (while was lowered by 50% later, without visible improvements). What have I done wrong?
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.
Renha
Printmaster!

Re: 1.2 mm Volcano + trimmer line

Post by Renha »

Cura was the slicer
3D printing is magic!

gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

Hmm, looks under-extruded, plus that's a pretty small test print for such a big nozzle. I'd start by checking that cura knows the filament thickness, then check the filament travel distance in the extruder is as expected, then do a thin wall print to see how close the wall is to the expected thickness?
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

Yes! thank you gchristopher, Cura was sure I want to make 0.4 mm lines with 1.2 mm nozzle (it was automatically calculated, looks like bug to me).
EDIT: yep, that's a bug: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/3095
IMG_8277.JPG
New cubes are much better on the sides, but top and infill are almost the same - probably, nylon doesn't have time to cool down enough (I've seen nozzle dragging previous layers).
But decreasing of temperature doesn't help, 236 degrees cube is almost exactly same as 256 degrees one. I have not active cooling because I thought nylon hates cooling, so I built machine without it.
3D printing is magic!

Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

done some tests with latest settings, found huge oozing. My retraction is set to 2 mm, should I make it say 5 mm?
3D printing is magic!

gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

That progression of improved prints is pretty impressive for using trimmer line!

Have you tried any other slicers? I've found print quality issues are really worth investigating different slicer outputs to try different available options or compare bugs/artifacts. (I'm personally using slic3r prusa fork mostly right now.)

Have you tried printing two at once or printing a tower next to it? You'd expect a lot of stringing, but that might be a way to see how much cooling is addressed by giving each layer more time. (Or maybe just print slower?)

I'm wary of the "print cooler" method of addressing that, because I've had mechanical parts with layer adhesion issues before.

Return to “Troubleshooting”