OpenDACT(Delta Automatic Calibration Tool) - For Repetier

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: OpenDACT(Delta Automatic Calibration Tool) - For Repetie

Post by KAS »

EL Cuajinais wrote:Ok so now I've tried enough to feel confident in saying html version 1.04 is simply not working for me unless I'm supposed to know the motor step angle, driver micro stepping, belt pitch, and pulley tooth count. All which I have no frickin' idea.

Can you please tell me what I'm supposed to use with a stock RMAX V2 on those fields? Does it have an effect?

More importantly, can you please post the html version 1.01, the one featured in the video, back up so I can use that one instead. I like that it does not mess with the endstop values, and most of all, I like that it works (as demonstrated by the video). I'm really eager to be able to use my entire bed!

Stock v2: 1.8, 1/16, 2mm, 20t.

I suspect changing the endstop values are a key part of the calibration.
EL Cuajinais
Printmaster!

Post by EL Cuajinais »

Thanks for the info. The first version of the html does not require changing endstop values and works as can be seen on the video. The latest version (1.0.4) does require changing the end stops and I did change them but it didn't work for me.
Micael
Printmaster!

Post by Micael »

Was finally able to do the calibration to 0.01, from what I gathered the reason why I was unable to do a calibration was because of 3 things, the first one was the cheapskates that had been badly assembled, this caused bad movements and the software as far as I could gather couldn't really handle that, which is ofc understandable. Then after I had properly assembled the cheapskates the switch I was using wasn't particularly good as far as repeatability is concerned, so that was giving troubles to the program as well, it was only after fixing the cheapskates and replacing the switch with an FSR again, that I was able to get the software to calibrate, still haven't done a print test, but at this point I see no reason why it shouldn't be working right.
derzaubererer
Printmaster!

Post by derzaubererer »

I just played around with opendact and happened to reset my eeprom quite often and now my stepper motors are getting quite hot i cant find if kysan or the other company all i can read on them is :"Automation Technology Inc, KL 17H248-15-4A" does anyone know the current for these?
and my first layers look like theres too much space between each line and that they dont overlap sometimes even missing out on the edges.(ill post pictures if needed)
BUT I CAN USE 255MM OF MY PLATE NOW!!! i guess this is good:) hopefully someone can help me on this newly appeared problem with the infills not overlapping :(
also
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Calibrate extruder.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

EL Cuajinais wrote:Thanks for the info. The first version of the html does not require changing endstop values and works as can be seen on the video. The latest version (1.0.4) does require changing the end stops and I did change them but it didn't work for me.
The first iteration of the program relied on modifying the delta radii to adjust for the plate - based on the assumed that this was the value that was off - which caused extreme scaling issues in the x and y dimensions. The change in these values can achieve the same results in respect to the bed. However, that version is still on Github if you absolutely want to use it https://github.com/RollieRowland/Delta- ... 6aa15e5dc4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would recommend not using this though, and instead use the expert mode - this is more than likely your issue.

Also, the step angle/micro stepping/etc. are meant to calculate your steps per millimeter.
Micael wrote:Was finally able to do the calibration to 0.01, from what I gathered the reason why I was unable to do a calibration was because of 3 things, the first one was the cheapskates that had been badly assembled, this caused bad movements and the software as far as I could gather couldn't really handle that, which is ofc understandable. Then after I had properly assembled the cheapskates the switch I was using wasn't particularly good as far as repeatability is concerned, so that was giving troubles to the program as well, it was only after fixing the cheapskates and replacing the switch with an FSR again, that I was able to get the software to calibrate, still haven't done a print test, but at this point I see no reason why it shouldn't be working right.
In your video/log/heightmaps I could not find the source for the error, so I'm glad you figured it out!
derzaubererer wrote:I just played around with opendact and happened to reset my eeprom quite often and now my stepper motors are getting quite hot i cant find if kysan or the other company all i can read on them is :"Automation Technology Inc, KL 17H248-15-4A" does anyone know the current for these?
and my first layers look like theres too much space between each line and that they dont overlap sometimes even missing out on the edges.(ill post pictures if needed)
BUT I CAN USE 255MM OF MY PLATE NOW!!! i guess this is good:) hopefully someone can help me on this newly appeared problem with the infills not overlapping :(
also
From the configuration h in repetier -> "Values 0-255 (RAMBO 135 = ~0.75A, 185 = ~1A) use 140 for xyz and 160 for the E if using Kysan motors and 175 xyz and 200 if using wantai motors" Also, the temperature for stepper motors is usually not an issue, they tend to be able to handle it well. However, skipping steps will occur at higher temps.

The infill issue you are saying may be that the extruder needs calibrated, as teoman suggested, but it may also just be your first layer height. In which case, this could be changed by lowering the FSR plate offset value and recalibrating, or manually lowering your z height. Although, checking the spm of your extruder is not a bad idea either way.
derzaubererer
Printmaster!

Post by derzaubererer »

RollieRowland wrote:
EL Cuajinais wrote:Thanks for the info. The first version of the html does not require changing endstop values and works as can be seen on the video. The latest version (1.0.4) does require changing the end stops and I did change them but it didn't work for me.
The first iteration of the program relied on modifying the delta radii to adjust for the plate - based on the assumed that this was the value that was off - which caused extreme scaling issues in the x and y dimensions. The change in these values can achieve the same results in respect to the bed. However, that version is still on Github if you absolutely want to use it https://github.com/RollieRowland/Delta- ... 6aa15e5dc4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would recommend not using this though, and instead use the expert mode - this is more than likely your issue.

Also, the step angle/micro stepping/etc. are meant to calculate your steps per millimeter.
Micael wrote:Was finally able to do the calibration to 0.01, from what I gathered the reason why I was unable to do a calibration was because of 3 things, the first one was the cheapskates that had been badly assembled, this caused bad movements and the software as far as I could gather couldn't really handle that, which is ofc understandable. Then after I had properly assembled the cheapskates the switch I was using wasn't particularly good as far as repeatability is concerned, so that was giving troubles to the program as well, it was only after fixing the cheapskates and replacing the switch with an FSR again, that I was able to get the software to calibrate, still haven't done a print test, but at this point I see no reason why it shouldn't be working right.
In your video/log/heightmaps I could not find the source for the error, so I'm glad you figured it out!
derzaubererer wrote:I just played around with opendact and happened to reset my eeprom quite often and now my stepper motors are getting quite hot i cant find if kysan or the other company all i can read on them is :"Automation Technology Inc, KL 17H248-15-4A" does anyone know the current for these?
also
From the configuration h in repetier -> "Values 0-255 (RAMBO 135 = ~0.75A, 185 = ~1A) use 140 for xyz and 160 for the E if using Kysan motors and 175 xyz and 200 if using wantai motors" Also, the temperature for stepper motors is usually not an issue, they tend to be able to handle it well. However, skipping steps will occur at higher temps.

The infill issue you are saying may be that the extruder needs calibrated, as teoman suggested, but it may also just be your first layer height. In which case, this could be changed by lowering the FSR plate offset value and recalibrating, or manually lowering your z height. Although, checking the spm of your extruder is not a bad idea either way.
thanks for the fast reply ill calibrate my Extruder as soon as i get home with the 10cm Straw i got at my breakfast:))
would it be better to actually extrude the Filament into the hotend or unplug the bowden and measure it without the hotend , my guess is that the hotend might have some resistance into pushing the Filament and maybe giving back some false results.(wow i described that one badly).
About the Motor current so the Automation Technology ones are Kysan Motors?(i just want to get this correct)
my cheapskates move relatively freely and my belts arent too tight but are they tight enough? ill probably get some Fotos of it just to be sure:O
i wish there was a Guideline on how tight the belts should be instead of more than 1/8 Inch less than a half thats so much Play:))
ill try to first calibrate my Extruder then go to the z axis cause the prints stick to the bed like a wonder right now.
i actually cant wait for the new arms to improve my ability to get more of my print volume :)
also opendact sometimes kills my Firmware to the Point i have to reflash it otherwise my axis wouldnt allow movement not even homing (i guess this is one of the safety codes)
i have to reflash the entire Firmware when this happens at first i even checked the wirings and fuses to see if i didnt kill anything
my cheapskates move with ease but i dont want to dissassemble everything just to check if they fly up and down:O

Edit: i found a Picture that describes the Problem a bit better[img]http://imgur.com/bVPalO5[/img]
Micael
Printmaster!

Post by Micael »

The printer assembly manual says the following regarding the current:

"If your kit was shipped with the Kysan or Automation Technology stepper motors (we covered
that earlier, remember?), you're going to need to make a small tweak to the firmware in order to adjust
the current drive that they need.

Click on the tab in the Arduino IDE marked “Configuration.h”. Around line #701, you should
see this text: #define MOTOR_CURRENT {175,175,175,200,0}.
Change that line to this: #define MOTOR_CURRENT {155,155,155,165,0} "

Now I don't know if it's the firmware comment value that is correct, or if it's the assembly manual that is correct, but either way you need to lower the value from default.
derzaubererer
Printmaster!

Post by derzaubererer »

Micael wrote:The printer assembly manual says the following regarding the current:

"If your kit was shipped with the Kysan or Automation Technology stepper motors (we covered
that earlier, remember?), you're going to need to make a small tweak to the firmware in order to adjust
the current drive that they need.

Click on the tab in the Arduino IDE marked “Configuration.h”. Around line #701, you should
see this text: #define MOTOR_CURRENT {175,175,175,200,0}.
Change that line to this: #define MOTOR_CURRENT {155,155,155,165,0} "

Now I don't know if it's the firmware comment value that is correct, or if it's the assembly manual that is correct, but either way you need to lower the value from default.
Okay i double checked this and came to the conclusion i already changed it Thank you so much i was searching for 2 days but couldnt find it i was too dumb to press STRG F ;(
I just came home and started recalibrating my printer cause i adjusted the cheapskates since they were very resistance to moving now they float easily but still hold the effector (i guess it looks good)
ill start my Esteps calibration afterwards to see if my prints are fixed ill keep you updated thanks again:)

ALSO MY FSR just came with the Mail ill have to figure out how to mount them without the right screws(inch threaded screws just arent available and if they are for harley davidson and way too big)
EL Cuajinais
Printmaster!

Post by EL Cuajinais »

Has anyone had success with the 1.0.4 html version? I keep trying and always get similar values which are wildly off. And now I'm put off by version 1.0.1 that was working because I can't have scaling issues. I don't know what else to try since the Steps per mm fields was the only thing left I had to try and now I put in all the correct inputs. Is it possible that the 1.0.4 html had the equations messed up? My diagonal rod jumps from the default 269 to a whopping 276.534 which I take it as a bad sign. Is such a large jump within the expected range. My worst measurement with default values is 1.73.
Ikarius
Plasticator

Post by Ikarius »

EL Cuajinais wrote:Has anyone had success with the 1.0.4 html version? I keep trying and always get similar values which are wildly off. And now I'm put off by version 1.0.1 that was working because I can't have scaling issues. I don't know what else to try since the Steps per mm fields was the only thing left I had to try and now I put in all the correct inputs. Is it possible that the 1.0.4 html had the equations messed up? My diagonal rod jumps from the default 269 to a whopping 276.534 which I take it as a bad sign. Is such a large jump within the expected range. My worst measurement with default values is 1.73.
Rollie helped me with that a few weeks ago - got it to work to a certain degree.
I still have some minor scaling issues that could be a problem if I try to print mechanical parts with tight fits.
My diagonal rod value jumped up to around 172 and the printer arms got stuck during the calibration process.
I used the expert mode to solve this.
Im in England right now and I only have access to my tablet pc but if you write me a PM I will try to help you as soon as I get back on monday.

Regards Ika
EL Cuajinais
Printmaster!

Post by EL Cuajinais »

Ikarius wrote:I used the expert mode to solve this.
I appreciate your offer to help, but know that I'm actually using expert mode and it is still not working for me.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

EL Cuajinais wrote:
I appreciate your offer to help, but know that I'm actually using expert mode and it is still not working for me.

The only thing that jumps to mind, is your mechanical calibration is off to much for the program to correct. I would go over the entire build with calipers/digital angle finders etc to correct any issues.

Have you checked with a depth gauge; the Onyx to the top plate to make sure you didn't torque one screw more than others? Check the end stop switches to make sure it's not loose. Check the alignment of the tower stop screws to make sure each tower matches. You can have one screw to far out and the tower will sit on the threads vs the screw head.

The easy fix will not be this or any auto calibration. It's best to toss on a dial indicator and start tweaking your kit.
derzaubererer
Printmaster!

Post by derzaubererer »

KAS wrote:
EL Cuajinais wrote:

The only thing that jumps to mind, is your mechanical calibration is off to much for the program to correct. I would go over the entire build with calipers/digital angle finders etc to correct any issues.

Have you checked with a depth gauge; the Onyx to the top plate to make sure you didn't torque one screw more than others? Check the end stop switches to make sure it's not loose. Check the alignment of the tower stop screws to make sure each tower matches. You can have one screw to far out and the tower will sit on the threads vs the screw head.

The easy fix will not be this or any auto calibration. It's best to toss on a dial indicator and start tweaking your kit.
i agree with this was trying the auto calibration for 2 days straight with no positive results and watched my tower alignments
one tower was 5 degrees off(85°) i fixed them and tightended all the tower alignment screws and suddenly the basic calibration did wonders at iteration 15
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Five degrees off? How is that even possible?

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
derzaubererer
Printmaster!

Post by derzaubererer »

geneb wrote:Five degrees off? How is that even possible?

g.
im exaggerating it was more likely cause due to the tower alignment clamps not tightened and it was vibrating and actually visible wobbling around(how could i not see this or the better question HOW COULD I STILL ACHIEVE DECENT PRINTS?)
i learned so much in the last 2 months its unbelievable and the best thing ive learned is that the guys at seemecnc make really good products and support:)
Ikarius
Plasticator

Post by Ikarius »

A good way to get a rough idea if your angle is off is an electronic angle indicator.
You don't have to buy one just download one for your smartphone.
It isn't 100% accurate but it will give a good indication if something is wrong.

regards Ika
D-G-C
Plasticator

Post by D-G-C »

I am on the way to test the calibration software and red mostly everything what is in this topic. In the meantime a lot!

To use a switch for the hight I have to add some code to the RAMBO in Configuration.h.
Because I didn't do this before I wold like to know where I should add it. Can I add it everywhere or only in some area?

By the way this is a great work. Thank you for that. :D
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

D-G-C wrote: I am on the way to test the calibration software and red mostly everything what is in this topic. In the meantime a lot!

To use a switch for the hight I have to add some code to the RAMBO in Configuration.h.
Because I didn't do this before I wold like to know where I should add it. Can I add it everywhere or only in some area?

By the way this is a great work. Thank you for that. :D
Here are the changes you need to make(starts on line 1075 of the configuration header):

Code: Select all

#define FEATURE_Z_PROBE true
#define Z_PROBE_PIN 10
#define Z_PROBE_PULLUP true
#define Z_PROBE_ON_HIGH true
#define Z_PROBE_X_OFFSET 0
#define Z_PROBE_Y_OFFSET 0
#define Z_PROBE_WAIT_BEFORE_TEST false
#define Z_PROBE_SPEED 2
#define Z_PROBE_XY_SPEED 150
#define Z_PROBE_HEIGHT 39.91
#define Z_PROBE_START_SCRIPT ""
#define Z_PROBE_FINISHED_SCRIPT ""
These are already defined, you just need to change the values of the definition.
Micael
Printmaster!

Post by Micael »

I believe #define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z true also needs to be set to true for it to work (could be wrong).

EDITED: Was wrong.
Last edited by Micael on Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

I tried to use the html version, regular mode, and after running all night it still didn't converge. I have a theory of what is going on and am open to feedback on whether it is plausible.

So these are the values I put it that I got from my dial indicator.

center =0.00
x= -.01
x opp= -0.27
y= 0.03
y opp = -0.13
z= 0.03
z opp= -0.35

I think what is going on is that my towers are leaning a bit back, do these number support that? If so I do have an issue because the way the top plate is cut (I have a max V1) they are as vertical as they can possibly be, they cannot be leaned in any further.
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
RollieRowland
Printmaster!

Post by RollieRowland »

Micael wrote:I believe #define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z true also needs to be set to true for it to work (could be wrong).
No, this would only be true if you had a minimum endstop on your z tower. This isn't used for probing.
jmpreuss wrote: I tried to use the html version, regular mode, and after running all night it still didn't converge. I have a theory of what is going on and am open to feedback on whether it is plausible.

center =0.00
x= -.01
x opp= -0.27
y= 0.03
y opp = -0.13
z= 0.03
z opp= -0.35

I think what is going on is that my towers are leaning a bit back, do these number support that? If so I do have an issue because the way the top plate is cut (I have a max V1) they are as vertical as they can possibly be, they cannot be leaned in any further.
Given these values, the only parameters that are off is your horizontal radius(slightly), your steps per mm(since you are using the manual this is a change in diagonal rod instead - bad scaling), and the delta radius for your Y tower. If this is with your initial settings before calibration then there is no significant mechanical error.
Micael
Printmaster!

Post by Micael »

RollieRowland wrote:
Micael wrote:I believe #define MIN_HARDWARE_ENDSTOP_Z true also needs to be set to true for it to work (could be wrong).
No, this would only be true if you had a minimum endstop on your z tower. This isn't used for probing.
However the Pin 10 is the same pin as the Minimum Endstop, so activating this does power that specific pin, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, but will check it out when I get to the printer.

EDITED: Just tested it and I had the wrong idea, it does in fact not affect the pin, the only thing that seems to be affected is that when it's set to false, the LCD Z Position Menu shows N/A instead of showing the state of the switch, which means that when it is set to false the state of the switch must be checked in the computer, while with is set to true the state of the switch can be checked in the LCD screen, either way no idea if it affects the Calibration or not, so better to leave it in false.
Sorry about the confusion
Last edited by Micael on Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Post by jmpreuss »

jmpreuss wrote: I tried to use the html version, regular mode, and after running all night it still didn't converge. I have a theory of what is going on and am open to feedback on whether it is plausible.

center =0.00
x= -.01
x opp= -0.27
y= 0.03
y opp = -0.13
z= 0.03
z opp= -0.35

Given these values, the only parameters that are off is your horizontal radius(slightly), your steps per mm(since you are using the manual this is a change in diagonal rod instead - bad scaling), and the delta radius for your Y tower. If this is with your initial settings before calibration then there is no significant mechanical error.
So are you saying if I use the expert mode it should work?
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
jon117
Noob

Post by jon117 »

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me, I have my Rostock Max V2 setup with a dial gauge (no z-probe or FSRs). I am trying to use this software to auto-calibrate my Rostock - by inputting the values from my dial gague. I download and run the software (windows 8.1 x64), it can connect and send commands (tried G28). Then when I press calibrate I get an error:

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. //etc//

Input string was not in correct format.

DETAILS:
See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at System.Number.ParseDouble(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
at System.Convert.ToDouble(String value)
at deltaKinematics.Form1.setVariablesAll()
at deltaKinematics.Form1.basicCalibration_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Delta Kinematics Calibration Tool
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Jon/Downloads/Rostock_software/Delta%20Calibration2.1.1PA/Delta%20Kinematics%20Calibration%20Tool.exe
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34250 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34262 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.34239 built by: FX452RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”