Need ideas for a "priming trash bin"

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
int2str
Printmaster!

Need ideas for a "priming trash bin"

Post by int2str »

I'd like to mount a little "trash can" so I can prime the extruder before printing.
Has anybody does this on our delta printers?

Please post pictures or ideas!

Thx
bdjohns1
Printmaster!

Re: Need ideas for a "priming trash bin"

Post by bdjohns1 »

I just hold a piece of paper a few inches below the head while I hit the extruder jog button on OctoPrint. Once I'm primed, I retract 5 mm, and pull off any dangling filament.
Batteau62
Printmaster!

Post by Batteau62 »

This made me think of an idea foshon had. Here's the thread: http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... e&start=80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's a few posts into the page, he used a printed part & dremel brush as a dump/ wipe station.
You could pm him to see if he took it further, or maybe he will see this :)
-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
foshon
Printmaster!

Post by foshon »

Here is my solution, very basic. Removable yet sturdy. Used a standard dremel bit (cheap version with one collet, 1/8" iirc).

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:93820
Purple = sarcasm

Please do a board search before posting your question, many have been answered with very time consuming detail already.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

I retract 80mm at the end of the job, fast - it whips the end of the filament back out past the hot end PTC and avoids the heat bulge you get if you leave it there.

So when my temps hit target, I extrude 100mm at 300mm/min which gives me a bit of string and, as it's pushing out, I kick off the job which will hold in the Gcode queue on the Rambo until the extrusion is finished.

As the head drops to start the job I just grab the filament and bin it.

Not automatic, but it is pretty easy and I'm still at the distrustful n00b stage where I like to watch the first couple layers of each job and make sure it's all tickety-boo before walking away.
int2str
Printmaster!

Post by int2str »

foshon, it's a nice solution, but I'm trying to come up with something that doesn't majorly interfere with the printing area. Also, I'd like something I could go to in the middle of even a larger print. Having it in the spot you have it would not work in that case.

I've played around with a few ideas, but have not found a good solution yet.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

Do you have any spare outputs on the Rambo? You could put something like foshon's rig on a swinging stage with a bit of g-code to swing it in and out of play as required...
foshon
Printmaster!

Post by foshon »

int2str wrote:foshon, it's a nice solution, but I'm trying to come up with something that doesn't majorly interfere with the printing area. Also, I'd like something I could go to in the middle of even a larger print. Having it in the spot you have it would not work in that case.

I've played around with a few ideas, but have not found a good solution yet.

You don’t lose as much as you'd think. The effector hits the tower a little past where this sets. Good luck to ya.
Purple = sarcasm

Please do a board search before posting your question, many have been answered with very time consuming detail already.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”