first layer fan shroud recommendation

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
neurascenic
Printmaster!

first layer fan shroud recommendation

Post by neurascenic »

Hey all!

I am to the point where I want a layer fan shroud. I have the 40mm fan that came with my kit, not the new squirrel cage fan though. got mine a couple weeks before they came out with that.

anybody have a recommendation for one. for now, I am printing PLA (don't have any ABS) and of course, don't have a shroud yet.

so, at least for now, it should be an easy print version.

Thank you very much!
I am a fool entrapped within my own wisdom.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: first layer fan shroud recommendation

Post by Eaglezsoar »

They sell those fans at SeeMeCNC for $12 each.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

When I was using these 40mm fans, I made a simple foot for it and placed it on the bed pointed at the part. That way I could reposition it to cool areas that need it most. I printed like this for 2 years (with my H-1s too) before getting one of the squirrel cage fans recently and mounting it to the effector.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

EagleSoarz: I am going to order one, probably tonight, ... but I am getting anxious and want to print something more. and more and more. Thought a shroud would be a good first useful print

too, for the shroud for that, is it an easy print if you don't have a layer fan already?

mhacnkney: how well does that work for your taller parts, and do you have to be concerned with cooling the head that way?
Would that be good enough to print my first shroud?

Sorry for the nubee question, for now though, that is just who I am :)

Thank you guys!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I printed my shroud that way! You have very precise control to position the fan and set the speed (I did have mine wired to the RAMBo).

Take a look at the huge/tall vases I printed in the what are you making forum last year about this time. These were one that way - however, I made an "arm" that attached to one of the towers so I could slide the fan up as needed. You can also just put stuff under it to raise it up - wood blocks, baby food jars, whatever is handy.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Batteau62
Printmaster!

Post by Batteau62 »

I like the idea of having the fan off the effector for a couple reasons. 1.)I don't want the extra weight etc. on the effector. 2.) I like having the air pointed at the part all the time.
The effector moves around so much it takes the air off areas that need cooling. (tall slim pillars on a fly reel :) ) I use a fan attached to the platform, only I'm directing it with loc-line. http://forum.seemecnc.com/download/file ... &mode=view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This allows me to set it at whatever level I need, blowing on whatever area I choose. Right now it's a fan out of an old PSU. I'm going to change it though. It cools the bed too much. I'm wiring up a smaller version on a pot. (I'm keeping software control for other purposes) I'm also thinking of piping air off a compressor, like a machine tool set-up. This would allow me to print up custom tips for different applications. :D
-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Exactly! Those thin pillars need lots of air to cool them and once an effector mounted fan moves off, it would get nothing.

Loc line is a great idea! I have lots of that in my shop waiting for applications, looks like I found one! I have also used 2 fans with opposing blasts to handle larger parts.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Forgot to mention, there is printable loc line on thingiverse.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

Ok... I will take it that route for now.

a many grand thank you's!!!!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Keep it simple and make some prints!

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

mhackney wrote:Keep it simple and make some prints!
As much as that is against my nature, I will do just that!

Also, against my nature, following directions, and yet here I go :lol:

Chris
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I've also been obsessing over fan shrouds, but printing them is difficult without... a fan shroud :)

Our own Rostock community has created several great ones.

Jetpad has a geniusly simple one that I've used before. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:79471" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DSNettleton has a great one too: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:110305" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And so does Edward (Indiana represent!) http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:134185" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not sure if this is our forum.seemecnc Newbee or not, but this one looks interesting. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:104483" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally want this one http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:43983" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but it's not friendly with the generation of SeeMe HotEnd that I had or the JHead that I have now. I intend to redesign it, but need to brush up on my CAD skills first.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I think that it was Michael that had the idea of putting the fan on the end of a flexible "gooseneck" type of rod that attaches to the upright
which I think is one of the best ideas. I hope to see someone design something like that for the Max and Orion. ( I have no cad expertise).
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

I am going to try the fan on the side for now, but, I am still scheming about a fan on the effector.

Both mhackney and Batteau62 seem to have very good points, problem is, once I get to larger prints, I will want to run things over night.

Maybe a little of both. I too, have thought of a bowden tube from an air compressor.

something I am considering playing with is an attempt at laminar flow. I have goofed with it before in an attempt to make a quiet blower (much larger than what we are using here) It did make it quieter, but, it reduced the pressure; a no-go for my intended use.

may work well here. Too, I am thinking about making the end articulate with bendy straws.

Once again, I am probably over thinking things.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”