Calibrating: how far to take it?

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Calibrating: how far to take it?

Post by neurascenic »

Ok, Got through my first round of Calibration. Went pretty well until I crashed the head trying to print. (still needs to be resolved).

Got me considering though, Calibration appears to be a moderately regular thing.

So I dreamed up a little gizmo to help with the style of calibrating suggested in the build manual.
I find by the time I get around to the next point of contact, I have lost the sense of how tight the previous one was.
Doing it crudely went fine, but as I tried to get it tweeked more and more... it got hard.

Not sure if this is taking it too far and it wouldn't matter...

It is based off of the old scale to measure the weight of fish. but this would measure the tension built up by the friction between the head and build plate.

Uses a common Pen Spring to generate the tension. Marked on a 1mm scale.

Test for Starting friction, and sliding friction.
-- Pull on it and observe point of release
Test for Sliding friction
-- Pull on it and observe reading as it slides through the pinch point.

Write both down and repeat. take the average.
Shoot for the same average on all 4 tests

I think to really get it sensitive enough, a lighter spring would be in order, but I cannot think of one that is real common.
if this isn't overkill, anybody have an idea of a lighter spring? I suppose, it could be printed if it were designed different?

I think I will change it so the scale is easier to read.

[img]http://www.neurascenic.com/show/FrictionScale.png[/img]

Cheers!
I am a fool entrapped within my own wisdom.
DavidF
Printmaster!

Re: Calibrating: how far to take it?

Post by DavidF »

Better off with a set of go, no go feeler gauges or put a dti on it.....
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

had to look up go no go gauge... Clearly, smarter people out there than I. but, I think I could actually measure frictional differences within the thickness of a piece of paper. Maybe. Could it be possible to get a go no go guage set to that kind of tolerance?

TDI... yea.
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

Go no go gauges are usually made with a .002" step to the no go part, for me its good e nough. Using the friction method is not a good test imho as if there is any play it will simply lift the head up until it hits a tight spot. Make sense?
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

Kind of. I suppose, I am being a little resistant, not because I think I am smarter... Just because I am a stubborn ass that way.

My idea, would be to pull horizontally, to try to eliminate any lifting of the head.

granted, it would not be perfect.

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate your critique! Please, don't let my stubborness (sic) deter the feedback.

Thank you.
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

Ha ha, I invented stubborn...
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

Guess I just want to think I am more clever than I am... hard to let go :twisted:
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

Being clever and thinking outside the box can have huge pay offs, provided your the first one to think of it. Sometimes its just a matter of where your idea can be applied, if it doesn't work for one application it could work for another. So never give up on an idea...
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

I am going to give it a shot. Willing to fail, has worked well for me in the past. Painful as it is sometimes. Gonna try it here too.

Cheers!
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

neurascenic wrote:I am going to give it a shot. Willing to fail, has worked well for me in the past. Painful as it is sometimes. Gonna try it here too.

Cheers!

I one heard a wise man say "Do or do not, there is no try"...now how do you argue with that? Go for it!! let us know what you come up with...
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

So, yea, the eye rolls I got were deserved.

Took me a bit, to realize that pushing the paper is a lot better of an indicator than pulling it.

that is, If I can get just to that threshold of where the paper will slip between the bed and nozzle by pushing it (grabbing the same point on the paper each time) that makes a pretty good indicator of equality.

No need for a complication.

I wanted to be so clever... sigh.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”