PCB smart effector and carriage adapters for Haydn Huntley's rods

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
dc42
Printmaster!

PCB smart effector and carriage adapters for Haydn Huntley's rods

Post by dc42 »

Any of you who have fitted Haydn Huntley's magnetic rods and ball studs to your printer may be interested in the Duet3D PCB effector and carriage adapters, which will be shipping next week. It incorporates a nozzle contact sensor for bed probing based on strain gauge technology. See https://www.duet3d.com/DuetAddons/DeltaSmartEffector for details.

[img]https://www.duet3d.com/image/cache/cata ... 00x300.jpg[/img]
adarcher
Printmaster!

Re: PCB smart effector and carriage adapters for Haydn Huntley's rods

Post by adarcher »

Hmm, no one has replied to this?

I just got a filastruder email about this going on sale on their site and thought it was something new and interesting...

I've got a small project I was working up to testing where I took out the strain gauges from an old wii-fit board--used the gauges years and years ago in college.

Anyone try this out and like it? There was a bit of talk about Piezo disks, are those better than this?
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

I don't understand why these would be restricted to Haydn Huntley's magnetic rods and ball studs. I think it would not be a lot of work to fit the SeeMe barballs to the carriages. The idea of the tip of your hotend being the probe is appealing. FSR's do that, but introduce some error margin due to bed or mount flex. I am satisfied with my FSR setup, but would certainly be interested in this system if I had no probing yet.

Edit:
Yeah, I can see that fitting the barballs to the effector is probably a bit more difficult...
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

I guess you could fit the barbells to the effector using a printed or machined adaptor piece.
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

Except for the limit to magballs, there are even sadder limit to use e3d hotend
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.
dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Renha wrote:Except for the limit to magballs, there are even sadder limit to use e3d hotend
These are not limitations unless you have limited imagination - see my response to your post in the other thread.

What other widely-used hot end do you think we should have designed it to fit instead?
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

I don't think you should, because E3D is kinda most widely-used. It's just me who want to use Diamond hotend with it, and my lack of skills to alter open source hardware except for mechanics makes me sad.

Sorry it looked like criticism, it wasn't intended.
3D printing is magic!

dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

I'm already looking at designing a version for a Diamond, because I would like to use one too. What do you think would be an appropriate rod spacing?

A version for the Cyclops has been requested too.
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

I'm a huge fan of tricklaser products, so I'll prefer to stick with SeeMe rod spacing, for example using these things https://www.seemecnc.com/collections/pa ... -joint-kit (did I understand question right?)

As for diamond, it would be great to have hotend above effectors, like I've done with tricklaser effector https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1128037 . What do you think? Is this possible with smart effector?
3D printing is magic!

dc42
Printmaster!

Post by dc42 »

Yes the Diamond would need to be above the effector with the nozzle poking through a hole in the centre.
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Post by lordbinky »

I'm using custom printed adapters on trick laser trucks (max metal) to pair it with an UMBEE. I want to note that the uniformity of spacing matching on the effectors to carriage mounts are brutally important, the result of the calculations still haunt me.

My max metal is doing great with an UMBEE effector, and if it weren't for the difference in rod spacing (45mm vs 55mm). I still love my magball arms and direct drive extruder, so if there's ever a version that works with the titan, I'd be all in.

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”