Changing probe location for HE280

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Changing probe location for HE280

Post by bvandiepenbos »

So, I have been playing around with SeeMeCNC's probe board, changing location of probe for horizontal radius.
By default the v3 probes center and near Z tower to calculate HR
I was very curious to see if value changes with location. Yes, not surprisingly it does.
To change location you simply change values in eeprom for "Z-probe X3" & "Z-probe Y3"
Send G68 to only do HR probing.
The link to spreadsheet data I have collected so far...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Basically the biggest difference seen is opposite the X & Y towers, the worst being opposite X.
Particularity interesting because these areas are always the most problematic.
Anybody else interested in trying this on their machine and posting results?

also, G69 probes only for end-stop calibration
G30 for Z height.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
kraegar
Printmaster!

Re: Changing probe location for HE280

Post by kraegar »

If your build is 100% perfectly square, I believe they would match. Also guessing that's not possible in the real world.

I posted in the Mods area a firmware tweak that will let you probe any point on the bed, and use dc42's delta least squares webpage. (The firmware change doesn't break anything seemecnc is doing, it just adds a bit extra to probe any point). With a "not perfectly square" build, you will probably get better results using the delta least squares page.
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

kraegar wrote:If your build is 100% perfectly square, I believe they would match. Also guessing that's not possible in the real world.

I posted in the Mods area a firmware tweak that will let you probe any point on the bed, and use dc42's delta least squares webpage. (The firmware change doesn't break anything seemecnc is doing, it just adds a bit extra to probe any point). With a "not perfectly square" build, you will probably get better results using the delta least squares page.

Do you have a link to the post? Thanks
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

Thank you now my coding illiterate self will try to understand all of that and not screw up my printer!
kraegar
Printmaster!

Post by kraegar »

Yeah - the 4 point probe that seemecnc does works fine if your printer is built square and your belts are tight. I got improved results using that, but your mileage may vary.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

In general, one should not rely on calibration to fix basic mechanical problems. I've done lots of testing of moving columns and leaning them, etc and calibration is surprisingly robust to what you might think are big problems. The thing that perplexes me are issues like "low" or "high" spots at odd places between but not exactly between columns. I've studied this on my V1 for several years, have replaced carriages, arms, effector, belts, steppers, etc several times each and I still have a "low" spot that has basically been in the same area but has disappeared and reappeared on several occasions. And this machine is about as square and plumb as I can get it using precision squares, gauge blocks, etc.

Brian, you mention that changing the probing locations gave a different HR result. Did you mechanically adjust your endstops so your endstop offsets are <5 steps?

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”