Acetone vapor finishing without heat

User-Generated tips and tricks for the Rostock Max, Orion, H1.1, or H1 Printers
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Acetone vapor finishing without heat

Post by McSlappy »

Hi,

Here's a vid I made showing how to cold acetone vapor finish your ABS parts. The results are amazing :)

Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2lm6FuaAWI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
gestalt73
Printmaster!

Re: Acetone vapor finishing without heat

Post by gestalt73 »

Hey, that was you? Fantastic!

I think I stumbled across the youtube video as it was linked from reddit/r/3dprinting.

Thank you so much for sharing that. I looking forward to trying it out.
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

Awesome!!! cant wait to try this
Brian
Printmaster!

Post by Brian »

McSlappy wrote:Hi,

Here's a vid I made showing how to cold acetone vapor finish your ABS parts. The results are amazing :)

Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2lm6FuaAWI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How long does it take for the acetone to exit the finished part? I was playing around with this and made a part with a really good finish, then I let it sit for a day and them moved it to my kitchen and left it on the table. In the afternoon the sun came in the window and was shining on it and apparently warmed it up and these weird blisters formed all over the sunward face.

Once that happened I looked closer at some of the parts I did before with acetone and it looks to me like the ABS is still a bit malleable. I can make permanent depressions in it with my finger nail. Seems like it should be cured after a few days, right?

Is this normal, or is this just another symptom of my cheap ABS?
Glacian22
Printmaster!

Post by Glacian22 »

Brian, that's definitely not normal. I have vapor smoothed a lot of ABS parts, and after a few hours of off-gassing, they go back to regular ABS hardness.
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Brian wrote:How long does it take for the acetone to exit the finished part? I was playing around with this and made a part with a really good finish, then I let it sit for a day and them moved it to my kitchen and left it on the table. In the afternoon the sun came in the window and was shining on it and apparently warmed it up and these weird blisters formed all over the sunward face.

Once that happened I looked closer at some of the parts I did before with acetone and it looks to me like the ABS is still a bit malleable. I can make permanent depressions in it with my finger nail. Seems like it should be cured after a few days, right?

Is this normal, or is this just another symptom of my cheap ABS?
Filament may have had a very high PolyManurium content.

nitewatchman
Brian
Printmaster!

Post by Brian »

Glacian22 wrote:Brian, that's definitely not normal. I have vapor smoothed a lot of ABS parts, and after a few hours of off-gassing, they go back to regular ABS hardness.
I also noticed that after vapor polishing, the parts have a pecular stink to them. I gather this is also something that does not normally happen.

I'm printing with new filament from another supplier now, so I will see soon if the filament is the issue (it has other quality issues, this could be another of many problems I have with this roll of Sainsmart ABS).
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

What if you had active gas circulation inside your acetone vapor chamber?

I am thinking of putting a small fan inside that will create a constant draft. That way, i am hoping that all parts of the abs will get an even amount of acetone vapor on them.

Are the computer fans made out of ABS?
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Also. Am i making my prints weaker with acetone or am i making the outside of the layers better bonded?
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

teoman wrote:What if you had active gas circulation inside your acetone vapor chamber?

I am thinking of putting a small fan inside that will create a constant draft. That way, i am hoping that all parts of the abs will get an even amount of acetone vapor on them.

Kinda late, but going to chime in anyway, most small fans cause sparks on the motor brushes. Not sure I'd want those in contact with acetone vapors!
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

barry99705 wrote:
teoman wrote:What if you had active gas circulation inside your acetone vapor chamber?

Kinda late, but going to chime in anyway, most small fans cause sparks on the motor brushes. Not sure I'd want those in contact with acetone vapors!
The small fans that run on 5 and 12v usually do not have brushes and generate no sparks.
I would be concerned about the plastic fan itself though because I am not sure what type of plastic it is made from or if it can stand being in the Acetone
vapors without warping or "melting".
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

only one way to find out

Return to “General Tips 'N Tricks”