Looking for advice on Rostock Max V2 E3D-v6 upgrade

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
Slade03
Noob

Looking for advice on Rostock Max V2 E3D-v6 upgrade

Post by Slade03 »

Hello all!
I bought a Rostock Max V2 around a year ago and it has been fun :)
My only issue is that each time I swap the nozzle on the stock V2 hotend, I break/damage all the cabling to the hot end.

The printer is currently down due to my latest shorts so I can not print any thing like a new bracket or such.
After my 3rd time damaging it(and blowing fuses due to shorts), I have decided to go with a different Hot end.

I am looking to the other people who have installed a E3D-v6 hotend for some advice on the upgrade process.

Below is what I believe is the process and parts I will need.

Unit to buy = E3D-v6 1.75
What voltage?= Assuming 12v
direct or bowden= Rostock max v2 uses the bowden, so I am guessing bowden is best choice?
URL = Http://e3d-online.com/E3D-v6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bracket to buy
URL = http://713maker.com/mounts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Basic Kit with spacers (over top mount)
Lock Ring =Standard
Spacer Length = 34mm E3D-v6

Instructions to follow to attach and update firmware/printer
URL = http://matterhackers.dozuki.com/Guide/H ... +MAX+V2/25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If any of you have any advice, instructions or recommendations on better suppliers of parts, please reply :)

Thank you all in advance :>
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Re: Looking for advice on Rostock Max V2 E3D-v6 upgrade

Post by Windshadow »

Instructions to follow to attach and update firmware/printer
URL = http://matterhackers.dozuki.com/Guide/H" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... +MAX+V2/25
For Mac, right click on MatterControl in the Applications folder and select Show Package Contents -> Contents/MonoBundle/StaticData/PrinterSettings/
on the mac if you want it to look like the illustration in that guide you want to have that read
For Mac, right click on MatterControl in the Applications folder and select Show Package Contents -> Contents/MonoBundle/StaticData/PrinterSettings/SeeMeCNC/

they cover this above the different operating systems details as
For example, the 'Rostock MAX with E3D v6' folder would be moved to ...\PrinterSettings\SeeMeCNC\

but I missed it there and had to read the instructions more carefully and correct it.
Viking
Printmaster!

Post by Viking »

I have just done this, and also thrown in the PT100 upgrade kit from E3D so I got a far better reading of the temperature on the hotend.

One thing you should do is to make a new nargile from the top to the effektor assembly, where you route the bowden tube alongside the cables, then they won't develope a breaking point down at effektor after a few 100's hour off printing.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Also, don't forget to update your firmware.

#define MAXTEMP 290

#define UI_SET_MAX_EXTRUDER_TEMP 290
(for the lcd display)

#define MIN_DEFECT_TEMPERATURE -10
#define MAX_DEFECT_TEMPERATURE 300
(extreme values to detect defect thermistors)

#define EXT0_TEMPSENSOR_TYPE 1
(1 because I'm using a threaded thermistor, for the one from e3d I THINK it's 8)
Martín S.
Slade03
Noob

Post by Slade03 »

Thank you for the input guys :)
Based on your replies so far, the base parts and instructions I linked will work. (as long as I follow them correctly it sounds :> )
Where did you all buy your parts from?
Anyone have input on the best price, or customer service?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

The E3D hotends are available from several US distributors and they all have excellent customer service and there really is no difference in price. Pick one with better shipping rates if you are trying to save a buck or two.

The mount you linked is single sourced so it is what it is. Most of us print our own but I understand your dilemma. That said, maybe if you asked if someone could print the parts for you, they would. I do this quite often and would offer but I'm traveling for the next 2 weeks.

Cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

So, I went and took a look at the pricing, and went so far as to include shipping. Surprisingly, or perhaps not, E3D itself comes off as the best deal on a hotend+nozzle set, and includes a nice holder for nozzles that the others don't seem to. It's 7$ cheaper than filastruder, when using Filastruder's free shipping and Fedex Priority from E3D. Matterhackers doesn't even come close, at 131 vs 112 from E3D, and 119 from Filastruder. All numbers are in USD, using the current exchange rate of 1.44$ per pound. Also a nice option from E3D is the V6 power pack, which also includes all the nozzles for both the V6 and the volcano, and duplicate thermistors and heater cartridges, at 152 USD, once again including the fedex priority shipping (that's 14$'s by the way, you can get shave ~10$ off with the cheapest shipping option)

I've always found E3D's people to be very responsive, and I would prefer to support the manufacturer directly, rather than purchasing from a distributor, especially when it's cheaper. As far as the mount, there are others available, but I like the 713 one best, and have one personally. It's well worth the price to get a precise solid mount.

Just so people know though, these numbers are what I found today, and calculated with the current exchange rate and the markdowns I saw on Matterhackers. They may not be entirely accurate.

Some additional info:
Filastruder's free shipping is without insurance. Insurance is an extra 3$, and priority is ~9$. I did not check Matterhacker's shipping options, as they advertised free shipping. All of these are apples to apples comparisions of the 1.75 bowden kit, plus a nozzle fun pack, although it appears E3D recently added the aforementioned laser cut holder as an extra value pack in. I haven't personally bought from Filastruder or matterhackers, so I cannot speak for their packaging, but E3D adds in a small pack of Haribo candies, which is always nice.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

You could also install it with a disconnect board.
http://www.themakerhive.com/shop/viewit ... oductid=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

I just got mine from Matterhackers. Just got the hotend, I figured I'd print my own mount. Was $83 even. Ordered on the 26th, arrived in the mail on the 30th.

Tincho85 wrote:Also, don't forget to update your firmware.

#define MAXTEMP 290

#define UI_SET_MAX_EXTRUDER_TEMP 290
(for the lcd display)

#define MIN_DEFECT_TEMPERATURE -10
#define MAX_DEFECT_TEMPERATURE 300
(extreme values to detect defect thermistors)

#define EXT0_TEMPSENSOR_TYPE 1
(1 because I'm using a threaded thermistor, for the one from e3d I THINK it's 8)
Where are the defect_temperature settings at? I couldn't find them in config.h.
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Lines 578 and 579, at least in the 091 version (the one pre-configured for the Rostock Max).
Martín S.
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

Found it! Thanks!
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
Slade03
Noob

Post by Slade03 »

Thank you everyone :) I am proceeding with the purchase :)
Sonrisa3D
Printmaster!

Post by Sonrisa3D »

You can order a printed part from MatterHackers if you are in a pinch: https://www.matterhackers.com/store/pri ... inted-part" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Rigger
Prints-a-lot

Post by The Rigger »

When I built my MAX, I added polarized quick-disconnect plugs inline with the hot end & thermistor wires and both the PEEK & layer fans, as detailed in...Err... One of the versions of the assembly manual, I forget which. That way if I need to drop the hot end for whatever reason - new hot end upgrade, nozzle change, &c., all I need do is unscrew the Bowden fitting from the top of the hot end and unplug all the wires.

I'm planning on eventually up-gunning to an E3Dv6 myself, once I get the stock hot end figured out & get more comfortable with the whole printing process.

(oh, and get back to work & get a few more paychecks under my belt, too...)
-Dave
Central Michigan, USA
(unless I'm at work)

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”