Effector Platform - Fan Duct Combo

A place to talk about user-made mods and upgrades to their machines
barry99705
Printmaster!

Re: Effector Platform - Fan Duct Combo

Post by barry99705 »

That might be a bit too low. Mine has the heat block almost flush with the bottom of the effector platform.
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Hey Dave, that looks like the exact same about of clearance that mine has. Unless there's something goofy that goes on with the ball-socket arms that I'm not aware of because I don't have them, I don't see any issues with that amount of clearance. Looks normal to me.

Were you concerned about some other aspect of the design, or just the amount of space down there?
davec3275
Printmaster!

Post by davec3275 »

Jimustanguitar wrote:Hey Dave, that looks like the exact same about of clearance that mine has. Unless there's something goofy that goes on with the ball-socket arms that I'm not aware of because I don't have them, I don't see any issues with that amount of clearance. Looks normal to me.

Were you concerned about some other aspect of the design, or just the amount of space down there?
I was concerned that the fans would be blowing onto the heater block and adversely affecting printing in PLA.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Nope, the duct does a nice job of aiming the air at a downward angle.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/putefq6.png?1[/img]
davec3275
Printmaster!

Post by davec3275 »

Thanks for the clarification. I quite worried. Glad to know it won't hurt the prints.
ssalrin
Noob

Post by ssalrin »

Hey Dave, how are you getting along with this set up. It's the exact one I was planning. Already have the 713Maker mount in hand.
davec3275
Printmaster!

Post by davec3275 »

ssalrin wrote:Hey Dave, how are you getting along with this set up. It's the exact one I was planning. Already have the 713Maker mount in hand.
Hey! So far so good. Once I had all 3 fans installed, I did notice a bit more air flowing around the hot end, but the E3D does a nice job of maintaining the target temperature.
The Rigger
Prints-a-lot

Post by The Rigger »

davec3275 wrote:I just printed the Effector bLITzJoN created and am in the process of using it to mount my E3D-v6 onto my Max using the 713maker.com mount.
That's precisely what I did.
davec3275 wrote:My question is does the E3D sit okay on the Effector or is it too low to where the fan ducts will compromise the performance of the hot end?
It works fine. The fans only turn when you've programmed them to, anyway.
-Dave
Central Michigan, USA
(unless I'm at work)
DGBK
Printmaster!

Post by DGBK »

Can anyone share their infill percentages for this? I'm never sure how much I should use for a structural piece. Now that I have my printer making objects to scale, I'd really like to print this up.
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

I think I did mine at 50%, can't remember. That's what I've been printing out my CNC router test pieces at.
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
patnap71
Plasticator

Post by patnap71 »

Can someone mod the effector from bLITzJoN or Jimustanguitar to be used with Xnarnon's magnetic arms = http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:153055.
My cad skills arent what they used to be 15 years ago.
BTW if all of you are running 3 fans at say 15% why not just design one where one runs a 40mm fan at a higher % and adjust the airpaths diameters to equalize the air pressure.
Save weight and wiring or would that create an imbalance at the effector level.
Figure pick one side and make the fan vertical in front of the hotend fan to assist or above it to cool the filament tube as well, mostly centered to keep its mass between the arms and within the effectors ring.
Vertical like this; http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1792867 but one bigger fan ducted into the effector base, like the upper half of this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:431310
Just a thought.

Return to “Mods and Upgrades”